8253Re: [GTh] Re: Son of Man

    Oct 3, 2008
      Hi Judy, you wrote:

      > I think you need to say that when there is no who-phrase, the p
      > (or t for a feminine noun) *may* function or maybe even *often*
      > or *usually* funcitons as an untranslated capitalizer, depending
      > on the context.

      Agreed. From within Thomas, I'm reminded of L.78.1 ("Why did
      you come out to the wilderness?").

      > I think that the problem here is that both translations appear to be
      > possible and even in regular use in particular places and times, so the
      > reader needs to make decisions about which is the right one in the
      > particular context. Although I have not had time to look at the texts in
      > question, it would seem to me entirely possible that Thomas might
      > sometimes use it as a title and sometimes to indicate "a human being".

      If we're talking about 'p-rwme', then I think 'Man', 'Humanity', 'Human
      beings', even 'the human being' are pretty much interchangeable, but
      not '_a_ human being', which I wouldn't use for that.

      > And, of course, what we decide makes more sense in any given context
      > will depend on our particular understandings of what kind of text Thomas
      > is - gnostic, mystic etc.

      Oh, I don't know about that. I think one can make these decisions based
      on thematic consistency with other sayings whose meaning is pretty clear,
      without having any particular understanding of what kind of text Thomas is.
      At least, that's what I think I'm doing (:-)