7510Re: Thomas saying 64 and the synoptics

  • paul
    Mar 3, 2007
      --- In gthomas@yahoogroups.com, "sarban" <sarban@...> wrote:

      > IIUC you are suggesting that
      >
      > a/ In stage 1 original Thomas 64 was like final Thomas 64 but
      without the sentence "for buyers and merchants shall not enter the
      places of my Father".

      > b/ in stage 2 Luke and Matthew modified original Thomas to produce
      the versions of the parable found in their gospels.

      > c/ in stage 3 the last sentence was added to original Thomas 64 to
      produce final Thomas 64.

      > However, this last sentence is so similar in theme to the rest of
      Thomas 64, (the rejection of those who prioritize physical rather than
      spiritual concerns) as to make it unlikely IMO that it is an addition
      several stages later on to original Thomas.

      > (If Thomas 64 is post-synoptic developed by successive redaction
      of the synoptic version then "for buyers and merchants shall not enter
      the places of my Father". may well be the last stage of the redaction
      trajectory, but this is a somewhat different idea)

      Hi Andrew,

      I'll go along with that. Thanks for the observation.

      regards, Paul
    • Show all 23 messages in this topic