7500Re: [GTh] Thomas saying 64 and the synoptics

  • David Arbuckle
    Mar 2, 2007
      Mike,

      In Robert Eisenman's book James the Just, he claims
      that Origen says this because in the original versions
      of Josephus that is exactly what it says.

      He claims the Church redacted it because they had the
      copies of Josephus, but apparently a syriac version of
      it conflicts with it....

      David Arbuckle

      sarasota florida
      --- Michael Grondin <mwgrondin@...> wrote:

      > [Paul]:
      > > If GThom is the original then Matthew has altered
      > it to say the Jews
      > > rejected Jesus and so the message was given to
      > the Romans. In fact
      > > Matthew includes a clear reference to the Roman
      > destruction of
      > > Jerusalem: "The king was angry, and he sent his
      > troops and destroyed
      > > those murderers and burned their city." This is
      > the same reasoning
      > > employed by Josephus.
      >
      > Not sure what you mean by "this ... same reasoning",
      > Paul. Josephus
      > didn't blame the destruction of Jerusalem on the
      > death of James,
      > though I believe Origen said he did. (The idea among
      > some Christians
      > was that it was God's reprisal for the execution of
      > Jesus, but that the
      > time of reprisal had been put off as long as James
      > was alive.)
      >
      > [Andrew]:
      > > (If Thomas 64 is post-synoptic developed by
      > successive redaction
      > > of the synoptic version ...
      >
      > The problem with finishing this sentence in any way
      > whatsoever is that
      > there's really nothing that can be called "THE
      > synoptic version".
      >
      > Regards,
      > Mike

      Have a burning question?