7484Re: [GTh] Thomas saying 64 and the synoptics

    Mar 2, 2007
      [Paul]:
      > If GThom is the original then Matthew has altered it to say the Jews
      > rejected Jesus and so the message was given to the Romans. In fact
      > Matthew includes a clear reference to the Roman destruction of
      > Jerusalem: "The king was angry, and he sent his troops and destroyed
      > those murderers and burned their city." This is the same reasoning
      > employed by Josephus.

      Not sure what you mean by "this ... same reasoning", Paul. Josephus
      didn't blame the destruction of Jerusalem on the death of James,
      though I believe Origen said he did. (The idea among some Christians
      was that it was God's reprisal for the execution of Jesus, but that the
      time of reprisal had been put off as long as James was alive.)

      [Andrew]:
      > (If Thomas 64 is post-synoptic developed by successive redaction
      > of the synoptic version ...

      The problem with finishing this sentence in any way whatsoever is that
      there's really nothing that can be called "THE synoptic version".