7014Crum and Smith to be available electronically

    Jan 15, 2006
      Hi everyone,

      I thought some on this list might be interested to know that Crum's "Coptic
      Dictionary", which is currently out of print, is about to be released
      electronically by Logos Bible Software through the Libronix Digital Library
      System. Prices are:

      Suggested Retail Price $198.58 AUD (approx; $149.95 USD)
      Logos Sale Price $172.10 AUD (approx; $129.95 USD)
      Pre-Publication Special $132.37 AUD (approx; $99.95 USD)

      See http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/2529 for further details.

      Also available is Richard Smith's "A Concise Coptic-English Lexicon"

      Suggested Retail Price $26.42 AUD (approx; $19.95 USD)
      Logos Sale Price $26.42 AUD (approx; $19.95 USD)
      Pre-Publication Special $19.80 AUD (approx; $14.95 USD)

      See http://www.logos.com/products/prepub/details/2530

      Of course, seeing this is part of the Libronix system, you would need to
      purchase some base-level software if you don't already have it. The prices
      they are charging on the website are not cheap, but I found a base-level
      version at my local discount Christian bookshop on sale for significantly
      less than the quoted prices. Many of the books that they offer are
      theologically fairly conservative, but they also have Nag Hammadi in English
      (4th ed) for $66.00 USD, the complete 60 years of the Biblical Archaeologist
      for $109.00 USD and Semeia 1974-2002 for $49.95 USD, plus a range of
      Aramaic, Syriac and Latin resources and they are also planning to release a
      "Coptic Bible" in the near future.

      I have Nag Hammadi in English and Semeia and find them quite useful because
      there is a search facility in the software. It does, however, take a little
      while to get your mind around how the system works.

      FWIW Logos also provides a downloadable Coptic keyboard mapping for use with
      Unicode fonts and with the Logos Library system at
      http://www.logos.com/support/lbs/fonts/CopticKeyboard. I am not totally
      enthralled with the layout because some of the non-Greek characters require
      the use of the Alt key, but you get used to it after a while and I assume
      that using it would allow you to do an electronic search in Crum, although I
      haven't actually checked this out. Having perfectly good paper copies of
      both Crum and Smith, I am not sure that I want to lay out the money to buy
      the electronic versions.

      Incidentally, if I understand the site correctly, they won't ship until they
      get more pre-pub orders, so it may be a while before you get your copy.
      They post out CD-ROMs which you install and unlock on your computer.

      "Noncooperation with evil is as much a moral obligation as is cooperation
      with good" - Martin Luther King Jr

      Rev Judy Redman
      Uniting Church Chaplain
      University of New England