6332Re: [GTh] Re: Alexandria

  • sarban
    Jun 1, 2004
      From: "clontzjm" <clontzjm@...>
      To: <gthomas@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Friday, May 28, 2004 1:19 AM
      Subject: [GTh] Re: Alexandria

      > Hello Andrew,
      >
      > These quotes and fragments from Philo touch on the subject at hand.
      >
      > THE CHERUBIM (OF CAIN AND HIS BIRTH)
      > XIV. (48)

      <SNIP>

      > THAT THE WORSE IS WONT TO ATTACK THE BETTER
      > (62)

      <SNIP>

      > THAT THE WORSE IS WONT TO ATTACK THE BETTER
      > (67) >

      <SNIP>

      > FRAGMENTS EXTRACTED FROM THE PARALLELS OF JOHN OF DAMASCUS
      > Page 533. C. It is not lawful to speak of the sacred mysteries to the
      > uninitiated.
      >
      > FRAGMENTS EXTRACTED FROM THE PARALLELS OF JOHN OF DAMASCUS
      > Page 782. A.

      <SNIP>

      Thanks for the references.
      Frank has already given a helpful response
      but I'd like to add my own comments.
      Philo IMO is saying that references in
      the Old Testament to guarding holy things
      refer allegorically to his (Philo's) ideas
      about esoteric teaching. The passages
      are IMO to be understood allegorically
      and not as historical claims as to where
      Philo got his ides from.

      Andrew Criddle
    • Show all 10 messages in this topic