6229Re: [GTh] Crosstalk Discussions

  • Gordon Raynal
    Apr 1, 2004
      >On 8-2-02, I made a nine part posting on there possibly being three layers
      >to GThomas. The first of the nine posts can be accessed at:

      >In any event, the fourth part posting includes this excerpt, which gives
      >some information on Arnal's stratification of GThomas:
      >
      >In "The Rhetoric of Marginality: Apocalypticism, Gnosticism, and Sayings
      >Gospels" (Harvard Theological Review, 88:4, 1995), Bill Arnal postulates the
      >existence of two stratum in GTh. The earlier (see p. 478) is "the sapiential
      >stratum" and it includes GTh 3. 5. 6. 9. 14. 16. 20. 26. 31, 32, 34-36, 42,
      >45, 47, 54, 55, 57, 63-65, 71, 74, 76, 89, 95-98, 107, 109, and 110. The
      >later (see p.479) is "the gnostic-leaning stratum" and it includes Gth 11,
      >13, 15, 18, 21-22, 27-28, 49-50, 51, 60, 61, 83, 84, 101, 105, 108, 11, and
      >114.
      >
      >I hope this helps.

      I appreciate this and do want to look at your work and Bill's in depth. As
      it is Lent/Easter time it will probably be after this season is over, but
      I'll print this and look at your work in the egroup files later on.

      Thank you for this help.

      >Incidentally, the fourth post, from which this excerpt comes, is a great
      >embarrasment to me to this day because, in it, I inadvertently referred to
      >April DeConick as "he". After Tom's recent compliment of me (thank you
      >Tom, you are way too kind!), remembrance of gross mistakes like this one,
      >that I way too frequently make, help to bring me back to reality.

      I understand... and I hope that groups like this work to help us correct our
      misstakes!

      Gordon Raynal
      Inman, SC
    • Show all 17 messages in this topic