4329#95 & #109

  • Jim Bauer
    Mar 6, 2002
      I reread the entire Gospel of Thomas earlier this evening looking for interesting sayings that have not been considered by the group yet. #95 reads, "Jesus said, 'if you have money, do not lend it at interest, but give it to one from whom you will not get it back". It strikes me that some of this may be along the same lines as, "If thy one eye offend thee.." in the canonical sources. Just as no one is actually going to pluck out their eyes unless they are extremely psychotic, most people would not think twice about giving money to individuals who will never pay it back. It could also be considered that this may be something along less radical lines, almsgiving to the poor.

      Note also that #109 draws from a similar scheme: a man's son inherits a field where his father (God the Father?) has buried a treasure, finds it, only in this case he loans it out at interest. It seems to me that there may have been two different authors for these two quotes and that #95 is the older as it more closely represents the radical side of Jesus' message, perhaps even marking it as one of the elusive sayings in Thomas which are authentic to Jesus.

      Jim Bauer