4105Re: [GTh] #11

  • Ron McCann
    Oct 4 10:41 AM
      Jim,

      I personally find it very hard to see apocalyptic elements in Thomas. I
      suppose one could read it into 11, 79(b) and 111. Are these the passages to
      which you refer and are there others I have missed here?

      How does 11 relate to 12? In part the two are a couplet- the heavens
      passing away- and heaven and earth coming into being. In 12 "for whose sake
      heaven and earth came into being" is supposed to be some Aramaic idiomatic
      expression which designates someone who is "especially blessed". Is 11 to be
      read like this? Is the passing away of the heavens or skies in 11 to be read
      as an idiomatic expression, apocalyptic or as some similar poetic flourish?
      What about 111- "the heavens and the earth will roll up in your presence"? I
      don't think it is clear that these are necessarily apocalyptic.

      As for eating and consuming, that element seems a common thread in logions
      6-14, inclusive, with that strangely split logion, beginning at 6 with the
      end in 14, forming a bracket. Only 12 (James the Just) seems to be an
      interloper. I have no idea why these are so grouped, but they seem to be.

      6- fasting, diet
      7- eating lion, being eaten
      8- wise fisherman choosing biggest fish (for supper? or was he looking for a
      door-stop?)
      9- worms eating seeds
      10- fire consumes or devours
      11- eat what is dead
      12- (out of place)
      13- drink from spring
      - fire will devour you
      14- eat what is set before you

      Are we looking at evidence for a sacramental meal, or are these merely
      sayings assembled around "eating and consuming" themes?

      Ron McCann