3628Re: [GTh] Re: SOM in GOT 86

  • Jim Bauer
    May 1, 2001
      From: "Jeffrey Glen Jackson" <jeff@...>
      To: <gthomas@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, April 30, 2001 11:37 AM
      Subject: Re: [GTh] Re: SOM in GOT 86

      > The way I would define Gnosticism is it is a religion that
      >
      > * holds there is a higher reality of perfection;

      This is also true of orthodox Xian religion

      > * holds that the material world is the creation of a defective spirit
      which is equated with the Jewish God that traps some divine
      > light in flesh; and

      In the Gnostic religion this is supposedly due to some form of "emanation,"
      ie. as presented in "The Hypostasis of the Archons." Yet Xians also
      believed in an emanatory spirit in the form of the Logos

      > * holds that a messiah figure (equated with the Christian Jesus) came from
      the higher reality to give man knowledge (gnosis) of
      > where his divine light really came from so that he can escape the evil
      world of matter.

      For the Gnostic J was a "saved savior" while for the Xians he was fully God
      and fully Man (Son of Man?) There is quite a bit of difference in these
      beliefs between orthodox Xianity and orthodox Gnosticism.

      Jim Bauer
    • Show all 49 messages in this topic