3383Re: [gthomas] The Man Sayings

  • Christian G Jensen
    Feb 4, 2001
      I am convinced that the Coptic had no firm grammatical rules for the def
      art. It definitely isn't the same as English grammar. For awhile, I thought
      it was something like, "this and no other", but that won't fit all uses. The
      Greek as you know, uses prefixes and suffixes for syntax. The def art is
      used for emphasis. "The son of man" becomes "son the man". I think that it
      is up to the context to give the def art meaning in a sentence. Unless you
      can unearth some Coptic grammar book, that is all I can come up with.

      Another thought. Maybe the usage in the Coptic is an anomaly that shows up
      as part of the translation from an assumed Greek text of the GoT.

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic