3326Re: [gthomas] Moments of Truth

  • joseph baxter
    Oct 1, 2000
      At 09:31 AM 10/1/2000 , you wrote:

      >If you are willing to actually accept synchronicity as real I suppose it
      >could exist. The problem with synchronicity is that it is purportedly
      >"acausal". It is very difficult to reject the laws of cause & effect which
      >are required by science & the scientific method.

      Jung called it acausal, but I don't see that as part of the necessary
      explanation. As you put it, it is difficult to reject cause and effect. So
      it could be that two things happening at the same time are the effects of
      causes. By way of example only, one could argue that both efffects are
      sympathetic responses to something larger, as opposed to one being the
      cause of the other. I believe that Jung himself meant something like this.