3325Re: [gthomas] Moments of Truth

  • Jim Bauer
    Oct 1, 2000
      -----Original Message-----
      From: joseph baxter <joseph@...>
      To: gthomas@egroups.com <gthomas@egroups.com>
      Date: Sunday, October 01, 2000 3:13 AM
      Subject: [gthomas] Moments of Truth

      >At 03:12 PM 9/30/2000 , you wrote:
      >The thesis entertained here is that besides ordinary cause
      >& effect there is an "acausal connecting principle:" which he dubbed
      >"synchronicity". For example, he relates a crucial moment in a client's
      >therapy where she was relating a dream about a scarab beetle. At that point
      >one flew in the window & Jung asked if this was the insect of her dreams &
      >she said yes.
      >
      >Some years ago, on a Monday morning, the United States Supreme Court
      >announced a decision upholding a conviction where an involuntary confession
      >had been used against the accused at trial. It rocked the legal world with
      >a stark moment of truth. One of the oldest and tallest pillars of law had
      >been felled.
      >
      >3000 miles away in a northern California forest, on that same Monday
      >morning, one of the tallest trees in the world fell (in a
      >storm). According to newspaper reports the awesome tree seemed even larger
      >on the ground. Stories high at its base, it stretched for more than the
      >size of a football field.
      >
      >Jung's story seems to suggest that synchronicity can occur at a moment of
      >truth.

      If you are willing to actually accept synchronicity as real I suppose it
      could exist. The problem with synchronicity is that it is purportedly
      "acausal". It is very difficult to reject the laws of cause & effect which
      are required by science & the scientific method. As I said, the acid heads
      in my dorm were passing the book around. It may be true that you can
      perceive synchronicity. Another friend of mine used to get thoroughly
      descoobied on imported beer & put the Psychedelic Furs on his stereo & The
      Dukes of Hazzard on TV to look for synchronicity. With the brain in a
      severely perturbed state.it seems one could experience it but that doesn't
      prove it actually exists. It seems me to be a recapitulation of an
      ancestral state where cause & effect weren't clearly undestood by the
      perceiving system. This is also one of the biological determinants of the
      existence of religion.

      Jim Bauer