3060motivations

  • Yuri Kuchinsky
    Aug 3 8:18 AM
      In gthomas@egroups.com, on Aug 1, 2000, Andrew Smith wrote (in reply to
      joe lieb):

      > Steve (Davies) is referring to modern scholarship, not to a general
      > view of Jesus. I understand him to be saying that the tendency in
      > modern HJ research to emphasize the Jewishness of Jesus is due to an
      > element of political correctness, which is understandable in the
      > post-Holocaust world, but which isn't really confirmed by the sources.
      > It's arguable, but I find this model quite useful.

      The problem with this line of argument, Andrew, is that it leaves the area
      of objective historical scholarship, and begins to focus on personal
      presuppositions and motivations. But this is pure speculation.

      Is there really a big tendency in modern HJ research to emphasize the
      Jewishness of Jesus? Maybe, maybe not. But was there a tendency in
      ancient HJ research to emphasize the Jewishness of Jesus? There surely
      was.

      Mt 5:17 "Do not think that I have come to abolish the Law or the
      Prophets; I have not come to abolish them but to fulfill them."

      Lk 16:17 "It is easier for heaven and earth to disappear than for the
      least stroke of a pen to drop out of the Law."

      So then I guess this nasty political correctness business was already
      quite a problem 1900 years ago?

      Yes, there are all kinds of tendencies in modern HJ research. There are so
      many of them. And if one begins to focus on personal motivations of
      various researchers, then I'm afraid for all of them there can be found
      various suitably opprobrious personal motivations. But perhaps it is not
      such a good idea to go down this road.

      Best regards,

      Yuri.

      Open biblical history list http://www.egroups.com/group/loisy - loisy-l