2475Re: [gthomas] Re: Androgynous Adam (Patti)

    Apr 2, 2000
      >Adam didn't have to work until the Fall.

      Apologies to Patti for the above, which was obviously written by my evil
      twin, who took quite a fall himself. Patti reminds me of Gen 2:15 -

      "The Lord God took the Man and put him in the garden to till it and keep it."

      So in Gen 2, Adam was the gardener, even before Eve. (Notoriously, of
      course, Gen 1 tells a different story, or at least a shorter one.) I guess
      then that what made the Eden of Gen 2 a "paradise" (in answer to Patti's
      question) was that all of Adam's needs were provided for. Evidently,
      tending the garden wasn't all that difficult, since the implication of 2:17
      ("cursed is the ground because of you") is that the ground that Adam would
      have to work after his explusion would be quite a bit less fertile ("thorns
      and thistles it shall bring forth to you"). Also, of course, it's at this
      point that death enters the picture ("to dust you shall return"). The fact
      that Adam was made of dust in the first place indicates that the authors of
      Gen 2 took Adam to be already a physical being, albeit an eternal one,
      before the Fall. In any case, I draw attention to the exact description of
      Adam's creation (Gen 2:7):

      "Then the Lord God formed man of dust from the ground,
      and breathed into his nostrils the breath of life,
      and Man became a living being."

      The Greek word 'pneuma', used in Thomas (and multiple other Greek and
      Coptic texts) as part of the phrase 'holy spirit', is of feminine gender,
      and has actually a variety of meanings, including 'wind', 'air', 'breath',
      even 'life'. One can see, then, how natural it was to think of spirit as
      the thing that gave life to the body. Thus, aside from Platonic reasoning,
      spirit is the very essence of life. The wind (or a breeze) could be taken
      as the spirit of God - which explains the symbolism of the Pentecost story.
      There are all kinds of other connections involved with the word 'pneuma'
      (including the likely identification of the Holy Spirit as "the Mother"
      mentioned in Thomas), but I hope I've said enough to redeem myself from
      what my evil twin wrote.

      Note to evil twin: Next time, check your facts, buddy.