2470[gthomas] Re: "Real" Man

    Apr 2, 2000
      At 06:00 AM 04/01/00 EST, Onnawa@... wrote:
      >.......Maybe Tom means that when we identify our true natures as
      >spirit...actually experience ourselves as a spirit being,and recognise we
      are
      >not our male or female bodies of protiens and such we will recognise that we
      >never were our bodies and always were and always have been spirit beings.
      >Maybe the fact that Einstein proclaimed that no energy is ever lost....it
      >merely change form points this fact out also. If we are not male or female
      >but spirit or energy beings who change form, then we have and always will be
      >in the kingdom of heaven in that we see first hand directly that we are what
      >we are and cannot die ever. So is this what Tom was saying ...with a
      >Newtonion Einsteinian twist?

      Th 3.4-5 provides some support for this view:

      "When you come to know yourselves, then you will be known,
      and you will realize that you are the sons of the living Father.
      But if you do not come to know yourselves,
      then you exist in poverty and you are poverty."

      At the same time, we have the saying about the impossibility of serving two
      masters. So while the flesh is not part of our "true" nature, still our
      spirit finds itself in it (#29), so in philosophical terms, it could be
      said that it's at least an _accidental_ (though not an _essential_) part of
      ourselves. Clearly Thomas believes that the body/flesh is as metaphorically
      "dead" as the world of which it is a part, the thought being that the only
      "real" life is (eternal) spiritual life. To discover the "secret" of the
      true nature of the world and of ourselves is to discover a great treasure,
      and once having discovered it, we (now identified with our spirit) can then
      "rule" over our flesh, become a "light" to others, and finally come to rest.

      The question of whether Thomas was right or wrong on the issue of our
      "real" nature gets into metaphysics or, worse, faith issues, so I would
      avoid that question. I do see echoes of Platonism here, in that Plato held
      that the only "true" reality is in things that are eternal and unchanging.
      I happen to believe that Plato was wrong, but that's a separate issue.

      Mike
      (p.s.: Putting on my moderator hat for a second, I'd like to remind all
      contributors that they must sign their names to these messages. Otherwise,
      they won't be accepted.)
    • Show all 18 messages in this topic