2429[gthomas] Re: Jewishness of GOT (2)

    Mar 11, 2000
      At 10:32 AM 03/11/00 -0500, Yuri Kuchinsky wrote:
      >... this sort of an argument, if established on the grounds of
      >general probability, would be difficult to ignore.

      Actually, not at all. It would only be difficult to ignore if we didn't
      have Thomas right in front of us. But we do. So an argument from historical
      circumstances as to what its nature "must be" is superfluous. We have only
      to look at it to see what its nature actually is. You yourself have pointed
      to two passages as indications that it's Jewish-Christian (viz., the
      references to Jacob and the sabbath). This is by far the best way to go as
      far as I'm concerned. I think the reason you developed your argument from
      historical circumstances is that you were more interested in saying
      something about the canonicals and the early Xn movement than in saying
      something about Thomas. You sort of just tacked on the Thomas observations
      as an after-thought.