1384[gthomas] Conter-cultural Thomas

  • joseph baxter
    Aug 18, 1999
      At 09:58 AM 8/14/99 , you wrote:
      >HOW I ROSE FROM THE DEAD IN MY SPARE TIME
      >AND SO CAN YOU

      The unique sayings in Thomas are clearly counter-cultural. The philosophy
      is very modern. That is why is has appeal some 2000 years later.

      > Yeah, and I'm several decades
      >past my decade; before he died, Timothy Leary was one of my best friends.

      I also knew Timothy Leary. I paid him a legal visit in prison. In a way he
      was something of a Christ figure. He symbolized a very threatening
      challenge to the dominant culture. The authorities really put it to him in
      a big way. (Just like Yeshu) He got a 25 year term for a joint or two.
      They also took his book rights. Unfortunately he lacked Yeshu's guts.
      Under pressure, he turned on his friends.

      Ultimately he was only into himself.

      With kind regards,

      Joe Baxter

      joe