10936Re: [GTh] A Note on the NLT

  • Mark M. Mattison
    Jun 16, 2014
      Stephen, well put. There's so much interpretation involved that when dynamic equivalent versions get it right, they often hit it out of the ball park; but when they get it wrong, they tend to get it woefully wrong and completely obscure other plausible or more likely interpretations, I think.

      - Mark Mattison

      On Mon, Jun 16, 2014 at 4:13 PM, Stephen Carlson stemmatic@... [gthomas] <gthomas@yahoogroups.com> wrote:

      Mike,

      The editors of the NLT consider their translation to be "thought for thought" rather than "word for word." There are no textual variants in NA27 affecting the phrase in question and so it looks like they thought that "god of this age" was too obscure for their readers and they substituted something they thought to be clearer. This is kind of linguistic judgment is typical of the more dynamic translations.

      In my view, the formal (or word-for-word) translations tend to be consistently mediocre, while the dynamic translations alternate between awesome and awful.

      Stephen

      Stephen C. Carlson, Ph.D. (Duke)
      Post-Doctoral Fellow, Theology, Uppsala

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic