10933RE: [GTh] A Note on the NLT

    Jun 16 1:56 PM

      The problem, I think, is that there is a fine line between providing a real equivalent and a version that is based on significant eisegesis and it is much easier to cross this line in working for a dynamic equivalent, so there is a higher risk that you will ‘escape’ from mediocrity into awful rather than achieving awesomeness.

      And on a vaguely-related lighter note: I was reading Nordsieck’s commentary on Thomas last night and was really struggling with one sentence which I thought I understood from the context but wasn’t able to justify from a literal translation, so thought I might try Google translate, which sometimes identifies idioms that I don’t know. It offered me: "Of course, this Gnostic knitting pattern is generally borrowed from a later period." When I found another dictionary that told me that “Strickmuster” can mean “formula” as well as “knitting pattern”, everything became clear, but I had a good laugh beforehand. J

      Judy Redman
      PhD Candidate, School of Humanities
      University of New England
      Armidale 2351 Australia