10881Re: [GTh] GJW

  • Bradley Skene
    Apr 10, 2014
      From Depuydt's analysis in the current HTR:

      "I believe that there can only be one explanation for the complete dependence of
      the Text on the Gospel of Thomas: forgery. What other motive could there be for
      taking, for example, the text of the US Declaration of Independence, picking out a
      few phrases here and there, and changing a new resulting composite text slightly
      so that it says something different from what the original text says, perhaps even
      that the British actually won the war?"

      This comparison may [throw] some light on the persuasiveness of his argument:

      "I believe that there can only be one explanation for the complete dependence of
      the Text on the Gospel of Thomas: forgery. What other motive could there be for
      taking, for example, the text of Mark, picking out a few phrases here and there,
      and changing a new resulting composite text slightly so that it says something
      different from what the original text says, perhaps even that Jesus rose from the dead?"

      [Bradley Skene]
    • Show all 3 messages in this topic