10775RE: [GTh] GTh and the parable of the banquet

    Jan 13, 2014

      Hi Tom,

      I agree that when we have a good hammer, it is very tempting to treat everything like a nail. I also agree that it is good to ask about the method of composition of a text, and I think that the parable of the banquet shows signs of several people or groups of people having had a go at it. Mark Goodacre also notes that the way that Thomas is put together suggests that its author is not as good a story-teller as are the authors of the synoptics – and maybe this is because it has been worked over by a committee or community?

      Judy Redman

      PhD Candidate

      Humanities and Social Sciences

      University of New England