10526Re: [GTh] Authorship and Dating GTh

    Mar 6, 2013

      [Tom Renolds]:
      > My Hypothesis: That the original GTh is theologically similar to LK, MK.

      It's not going to be easy persuading anyone of that, considering the amount of
      contrary evidence in the text and the number of scholars who believe otherwise.

      > My question: From the Greek loanwords that you have identified in GTh, is there
      > evidence that one text is dependent on the other, specifically that the exact Greek
      > construction is used in more than one text?

      Well, let's say that I highlighted the Greek loanwords. The actual identification
      of them is in Stephen Emmel's index in Bentley Layton's critical study of Codex II.
      As to the question itself (as I understand it), although there may be special cases
      where the loanwords can tell us something, generally they can't. There are at least
      two reasons for that: (1) the loanwords are almost always different in some way from
      the corresponding Greek words, and (2) the loanwords don't occur in clumps, i.e.,
      they're almost always isolated from each other, with Coptic in between. That's why
      good analyses (like Mark Goodacre's) of the relationship between Thomas and the
      Synoptics focus primarily on the wording in the Greek POxy fragments rather than
      that in Coptic Thomas.