10489Re: [GTh] Authorship and Dating GTh

  • Jack Kilmon
    Feb 5, 2013
      Sent: Tuesday, February 05, 2013 1:27 AM
      Cc: GPG
      Subject: RE: [GTh] Authorship and Dating GTh

      To: GThos

      On: Text Study

      From: Jack Kilmon

      4. Are there echoes or parallels in outside texts, and if so, what is their directionality? Do all the parallels point to the same date of compo sition, or to several successive dates? A good deal of work has been done on Thomas from this point of view, most of it having to do with Matthew and Luke, and most of that (not, I think, quite all) suggesting that Thomas is posterior to those portions of Matthew and Luke. But what about Mark? If we ask the same question of Paul, we get Mark all over the oscilloscope screen. Right? If we take a chart of Thomas, and color in the parts that have some sort of parallel in Mark, what does the resulting picture look like?

      JACK] Those parallels and parts of them are listed below.  Biblical scholarship is a mind field of imagination exertion and everyone is going over the same Greek and Coptic texts over and over again. Any random thought becomes a new “discovery.” I am interested very specifically on the vox Iesu, the genuine sayings and aphorisms which when considered in the context of late 2nd temple social and cultural anthropology MIGHT give us some insights. Obviously linguistics is key, yet very, very few New Testament scholars or Jesus historians are facile in Judean Aramaic. The Gospels are in Greek and the sayings of Jesus have to be reconstructed in his own language which means occasionally peeling off agenda based redaction first. We want to ask ourselves the question, “did Jesus/Yeshua say this and why the hell did he say it?” Yes, a number of the genuine Jesus sayings in Thomas (about half the logia) are more “pristine” Jesus stuff and there is some Gnostic redaction designed to reflect Gnostic thought but they appear to have been applied to the “non-Jesus stuff” perhaps displaying a respect for the genuine stuff. Of course, assuming you are referring to the Nag Hammadi Thomas, the durn thing is in Coptic. Now we have the additional burden of sayings that were originally in Aramaic translated to Greek (which is bad enough idiomatically), then the Greek is translated to Coptic, a mixture of Greek and Middle Egyptian.

      The Thomas logia that have parallels or segments in Luke/Q1&2 are 4a, 6b, 14b, 16, 21b, 26, 33b, 36, 39, 41, 45, 46a, 47b, 54, 55a, 64a, 68a, 69b, 73, 76b, 78, 86, 89, 91, 94, 95, 96, 107.
      I would add 35a, 44a, 5b. 20a, 48, 106
      Mark parallels in Q are 3:23-26, 27. 28-29; 4:21, 22, 24, 25; 4:30-32; 6:8-11; 8:10-13; 8:34, 35, 38; 9:42, 50; 10:10-12; 10:31; 11:23, 25; 12:38-39; 13:11

      The Thomas logia found in Mark are 2, 3, 5, 6, 8, 9, 10, 12, 14, 20, 21, 31, 33, 35, 41, 44, 45, 47, 48, 62, 64, 66, 100.
      Also the first sentence of 2, the first half of 3, "For many of the first will be last" of Logion 4 (the rest is gnostic reformulation), 5, only one sentence of 8 ("Anyone with two ears had better listen"), 10, 12, 21:9-10, one sentence of 22 (The nursing babies), one sentence of 24 (the ears), the first half of 25, 26, 32, 34, 36, 39:3, 40, 46, 54, 55, 57, 62:2, 63, 65, 68, 69:2, 76, 78, 79:2, 81:2, 82, 86, 89, 92:1, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97, 98, 103, 106:2, 107, 109, 113.
      We have correspondences between Mark/Q parallels and Thomas/Q parallels at Logia 4, 5, 6, 14, 20, 33, 35, 41, 44, 48, 55, 106 so a third of those Q sayings DO occur in Mark's gospel and I would bet there were more in the original Mark.
      Given half of the GoT comes down as genuine sayings of Jesus while the other half are invented by later editors, be they ascetic or Gnostic, there are multiple unknown authors of the invented logia.  Concentrating on the genuine sayings, other than the first layer author being Jesus, in oral form and in Aramaic, the reporting author may be discernible. Scholarly consensus is that Mark USED an early Thomas but my conclusion is that MARK is the author of Thomas which may have been an Aramaic “Jesus said...” notebook used in the composition of his gospel.  My opinion is that Mark did not use Thomas, he WROTE Thomas.  That is what your chart would suggest.
      Jack Kilmon
      Houston, TX
    • Show all 29 messages in this topic