10430Re: [GTh] on HTR delay in publishing "GJW"

    Dec 5, 2012
      Hi Stephen,

      What I find mysterious is that there's been no mention of the ink
      test lately. It was originally scheduled for (mid? end?) October, as
      I understand it. In the Nov 11th Boston Globe article that Tom
      Hickcox noted onlist, Karen King was quoted as saying that she
      was waiting for its results, but here we are 3-4 weeks later, and
      the recent AP article from Harvard Divinity School doesn't even
      mention it. Was it folded into the larger set of authenticity tests?
      Lisa Wangsness, the author of the Boston Globe piece, suggests
      so in her response (nothing confidential in it) to a note I sent her
      today, but it hasn't been confirmed:

      Hi Mike, My understanding is that the testing would begin mid-October but could take a couple of months and may not be ready in time for the Jan. issue of the HTR – and indeed the AP had something yesterday saying that the tests would not be completed in time for that edition. My understanding is that the ink tests are part of a series of tests all being done at once, including carbon 14 dating of the papyrus, although I have not interviewed those conducting the tests. I have been really busy with other stories so haven’t had time to check but will try! Thanks for your note. L