Conncection Problems - Comcast User

  • Karen
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 2, 2009
      Hello!
      I am a long time user of your product and LOVE IT. There is no way I could keep track of everything without it and love the report capabilities.

      In the past few weeks I've been unable to use two features, and both problems appear to be related to server connections:

      1. When I "check for updates", I get a message box that says "Unable to establish connection. Socket Tools". I am definitely connected to the internet. I have successfully downloaded/checked for updates for years - this just started happening recently. I figured maybe you were having server issues, but then I encountered a second problem...

      2. When trying to email a report, I first get a G-Scoutmate message box saying: "Access Denied. No connection established with remote host." When I click "OK", I get a second G-Scoutmate message box that says "Unable to send message. No connection established with remote host." From there I have to cancel the message.

      I used your knowledgebase to redo my email settings in the "preferences" section. I did notice that the suggested port for comcast had changed, so I changed my settings accordingly. Still no luck. Have other Comcast users reported this? Or could it be a famous Windows update that is blocking me? I am able to use all of my web browser features... but unable to use the internet from within G-Scoutmate, it appears.

      Thanks for your help!
      Karen Szymanski
      Message 2 of 2 , Dec 3, 2009
        Hi Karen,

        Do you have a firewall on your machine (i.e., Norton Internet Security
        or MacAfee Internet Security)? If so, then it may be the firewall
        that's blocking G-Scoutmate's access to the internet. Typically an
        "approve or deny" box appears from the firewall program when G-Scoutmate
        tries to access the internet, and you would need to give it access.

        Kevin