lost data (again)

  • Bridget Sullivan
    Message 1 of 2 , Mar 1, 2001
      I'm hoping somebody has made this mistake too and can tell me how to fix it.

      G-Scoutmate crashed on me this morning (computers always know when you
      really need some information). No big deal, this has happened several
      times before and I followed the reinstalling but saving your data
      instructions. I unchecked the other two checkboxes on the install screen
      so I was only reinstalling the program files. Now Gscoutmate starts again,
      but with the same errors AND my data is all gone. Does anybody know of a
      way to get my data back? I have to print an emergency number list for a
      field trip tonight!

      Thanks,
      Bridget
      Message 2 of 2 , Mar 1, 2001
        Hi everyone,

        Just wanted to let you know that Bridget's problem has been resolved.

        We did have to go to a backup that she had as her database became corrupted.

        A couple to things to note (in general):
        * It's always good practice to make a backup every couple of weeks. I know
        the process is a bit involved if you want to put it a floppy disk, but
        making a backup to your hard drive is quite easy to do (and we're going to
        make it easier in the future);
        * If you ever run into a problem with G-Scoutmate, do NOT uninstall it,
        because doing so will uninstall your data file;
        * Sometimes, when you install a new program (or if you reinstall Windows),
        it overwrites files that we place in your Windows directory causing
        G-Scoutmate to "malfunction". You may need to reinstall. The instructions
        for reinstalling without overwriting your data can be found here:

        http://www.kscgroup.com/kbase/lookup.asp?IDNum=7

        AND.. if all else fails, just email or call us. We'd be happy to help
        resolve any problems related to G-Scoutmate.

        Thanks!

        Kevin