Email Set Up

  • Stacey
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2007
      I have gscoutmate on my work computer and would love to be able to
      send messages to my scouts via the software. I have not had much
      success setting up my email preferences, and I think my problem is in
      what I am selecting for SMTP server. Does anyone know how I can
      determine this without bothering the IT folks here at my office? Also,
      what do I use for selection, "Type"? Thanks.
    • aasheik
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2007
        Stacey,

        Its usually something like smtp.XXXXX.com , like AOL's is smtp.aol.com.
        However, my DSL is my ISP and it is a different format so you may have to
        ask the IT guys what the SMTP address is.

        For what its worth, AOL addresses are free now, and I have my G-Scoutmate
        mail set up with my AOL address. I also have my Outlook set up for my AOL
        account. So, I can set everything up to the AOL address (which I have had
        for over a decade) and I don't even have to have the AOL software on my
        computer. And its web based so I can check it from any computer. It works
        great with G-Scoutmate.

        Kristin

        Message 3 of 5 , Oct 5, 2007
          Stacey,

          I know that another person responded but wanted to chime in.

          If you're going to be using your work email server to send the email,
          then you'll need to know the name or IP address of the server as well as
          if it supports SMTP. More than likely it does, but you'll probably need
          to ask your IT people if you don't know.

          Alternatively, you can do what was suggested and use an external SMTP
          server such as the one you use at home or a free one like AOL or gmail.

          Kevin

          Stacey wrote:

          > I have gscoutmate on my work computer and would love to be able to
          > send messages to my scouts via the software. I have not had much
          > success setting up my email preferences, and I think my problem is in
          > what I am selecting for SMTP server. Does anyone know how I can
          > determine this without bothering the IT folks here at my office? Also,
          > what do I use for selection, "Type"? Thanks.

        • Stacey Thomas
          Message 4 of 5 , Oct 8, 2007
            Thanks for your response, Kevin, and I did seek out help from IT, but
            it's not a priority project, so I'm waiting. Until I get this figured
            out, my home provider is comcast.net. Am I able to send emails from the
            software loaded onto my work computer using the service I subscribe to
            from home, and how do I set this up? I still don't know what the SMTP
            is. I feel silly asking because I can send and receive very easily from
            my work account, but the option to attach docs without having to export
            them first is very attractive.

            Another question: I've been working with permission slips and would like
            to tailor them slightly to conform to each individual event (i.e., I'd
            like to create one or two extra fields and I'd also like to add
            graphics). Can I do this within GScoutmate? Currently, I am exporting
            them to word and modifying from there.

            Thanks very much.

            4a. Re: Email Set Up

            Posted by: "Kevin Coleman" kevin@... poshtown

            Message 5 of 5 , Oct 27, 2007
              Stacey,

              Since Comcast SMTP servers require authentication, you may be able to
              use them to send your emails (regardless of your locations).

              Set up your email preferences using the information provided here:

              http://www.kscgroup.com/kbase/lookup.asp?IDNum=102

              Regarding the permission slip - you cannot add additional fields,
              however you can change the "Informational Section" by following the
              directions located here:

              http://www.kscgroup.com/kbase/lookup.asp?IDNum=29

              Maybe you can add the fields in there. This, of course, cannot be
              populated with data from G-Scoutmate - they would have to be manually
              filled in.