How do YOU do this?

  • Heather W.
    Message 1 of 11 , Jun 6, 2005
      Since there's no one report to do this, I'm curious how other Leaders
      using GSmate do this.

      How do you find which girls have completed enough requirements to earn
      an award that has not yet been set to complete or been awarded? (So,
      a girl who has completed 4 requirements for a Try-It, 6 for a Badge,
      etc.)

      I find myself running multiple reports going back and forth to do
      this. It's not too bad with a small troop, but I'm looking to expand
      next year, and if there's an easy way, I'd love to hear it!

      (It also would be handy to be able to run a progress report on the
      requirements completed that excludes any awards that have been marked
      as awarded. I tried doing that manually by choosing the dates, but
      for awards that hadn't been completed, but also hadn't had any new
      activities done since the last time we handed out awards, they didn't
      show up at all.)

      Heather
      --
      Heather Weller
      Leader, Brownie Troop #877
      Message 2 of 11 , Jun 6, 2005
        When in input the awards, I always mark a date and put an X by the
        requirement as it is done. To check, I run Try-Its, by girls,
        incomplete and it prints a list. If there are 4 or more complete they
        earn it and when we do the COA I change if from incomplete/unawarded
        to complete/awarded.

        I'm fairly new at this, though, and if there is a better way, I'd love
        to hear it.

        On 6/6/05, Heather W. <heather74@...> wrote:
        > Since there's no one report to do this, I'm curious how other Leaders
        > using GSmate do this.
        >
        > How do you find which girls have completed enough requirements to earn
        > an award that has not yet been set to complete or been awarded? (So,
        > a girl who has completed 4 requirements for a Try-It, 6 for a Badge,
        > etc.)
        >

        > I find myself running multiple reports going back and forth to do
        > this. It's not too bad with a small troop, but I'm looking to expand
        > next year, and if there's an easy way, I'd love to hear it!
        >
        > (It also would be handy to be able to run a progress report on the
        > requirements completed that excludes any awards that have been marked
        > as awarded. I tried doing that manually by choosing the dates, but
        > for awards that hadn't been completed, but also hadn't had any new
        > activities done since the last time we handed out awards, they didn't
        > show up at all.)
        >
        > Heather
        > --
        > Heather Weller
        > Leader, Brownie Troop #877
        > Montachusett Council, central Massachusetts
        > heather74@...

        > Yahoo! Groups Links

      • poshtown
        Message 3 of 11 , Jun 7, 2005
          Thanks for your response.

          If anyone has a suggestion for a more automated way, then please
          respond and let me know, and I'll add it to the suggestion list.

          Kevin
          --- In gscoutmate@yahoogroups.com, Kristin Aasheim <aasheik@g...>

        • Dorothea Torres
          Message 4 of 11 , Jun 7, 2005
            1st I run the 'Progress Report - All - By Award Name'; select Incomplete
            awards. That way I get all the ones that I have not marked as complete.

            2nd If I notice that some are completed, then I do a global update for that
            try-it or badge. I select all the girls that completed it and then I mark it
            Complete - Unawarded.

            3rd When I am ready to do an awards ceremony, I run the 'Unawarded Awards'
            report so I can get the badges or try-its for the ceremony.

            4th When I have an awards ceremony, I use Global update and 'Erase Unawarded
            Marks'.

            Dorothy Torres

            Brownie Troop 608

            Junior Troop 736

            Anchorage, Alaska

            wrote:
            > When in input the awards, I always mark a date and put an X by the
            > requirement as it is done. To check, I run Try-Its, by girls,
            > incomplete and it prints a list. If there are 4 or more complete
            they
            > earn it and when we do the COA I change if from
            incomplete/unawarded
            > to complete/awarded.
            >
            > I'm fairly new at this, though, and if there is a better way, I'd
            love
            > to hear it.
            >
            > On 6/6/05, Heather W. <heather74@g...> wrote:
            > > Since there's no one report to do this, I'm curious how other
            Leaders
            > > using GSmate do this.
            > >
            > > How do you find which girls have completed enough requirements
            to earn
            > > an award that has not yet been set to complete or been awarded?
            (So,
            > > a girl who has completed 4 requirements for a Try-It, 6 for a
            Badge,
            > > etc.)
            > >

            > > I find myself running multiple reports going back and forth to do
            > > this. It's not too bad with a small troop, but I'm looking to
            expand
            > > next year, and if there's an easy way, I'd love to hear it!
            > >
            > > (It also would be handy to be able to run a progress report on
            the
            > > requirements completed that excludes any awards that have been
            marked
            > > as awarded. I tried doing that manually by choosing the dates,
            but
            > > for awards that hadn't been completed, but also hadn't had any
            new
            > > activities done since the last time we handed out awards, they
            didn't
            > > show up at all.)
            > >
            > > Heather
            > > --
            > > Heather Weller
            > > Leader, Brownie Troop #877
            > > Montachusett Council, central Massachusetts
            > > heather74@g...

            > > Yahoo! Groups Links

            To unsubscribe, please send an email to
            gscoutmate-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com

            _____

            Yahoo! Groups Links

          • Tara Unverzagt
            Message 5 of 11 , Jun 7, 2005
              The biggest problem I have with this whole thing is that I may have a group of girls complete something this year and then in a year or two another group will complete it (I have a multi-age group). So I can't blindly say "complete - unawarded" because some people HAVE been awarded it already. That gets back to why I think it should default to "unawarded" because BY DEFAULT it IS unawarded. Then when it's not marked "unawarded" you KNOW that it really WAS awarded and not just the program defaulting ot that. I know that people who have used the program for a long time are wired to the way it works now and I don't intend to convince them that their life would be better if the program were more intuitive. So hopefully, Kevin will just put the opition mode in so we can chose which way we'd like it to default. hint, hint :-)

              Tara

              Message 6 of 11 , Jun 8, 2005
                Tara -

                A preference option for selecting the default unawarded status will be in
                the next update... hint, hint!

                Kevin

              • Tara Unverzagt
                Message 7 of 11 , Jun 8, 2005
                  woohoo!!!! :-) THANKS!!!!

                  ttu

                  At 12:40 AM 6/8/2005, you wrote:
                  >The biggest problem I have with this whole thing is that I may have a
                  >group of girls complete something this year and then in a year or two
                  >another group will complete it (I have a multi-age group). So I can't
                  >blindly say "complete - unawarded" because some people HAVE been awarded
                  >it already. That gets back to why I think it should default to
                  >"unawarded" because BY DEFAULT it IS unawarded. Then when it's not marked
                  >"unawarded" you KNOW that it really WAS awarded and not just the program
                  >defaulting ot that. I know that people who have used the program for a
                  >long time are wired to the way it works now and I don't intend to convince
                  >them that their life would be better if the program were more
                  >intuitive. So hopefully, Kevin will just put the opition mode in so we
                  >can chose which way we'd like it to default. hint, hint :-)
                  >
                  >Tara

                • Karee & Scott
                  Message 8 of 11 , Jun 9, 2005
                    This may have been asked before and I apologize if it has.

                    We are joining two troops together next year and both me and the other
                    leader uses GS mate. Is there a way to get her information on my computer
                    and mine on hers with out either of us losing our information. We will both
                    still the be the leaders and this way we will have the same info on both.

                    Thank you
                    karee

                    Message 9 of 11 , Jun 12, 2005
                      Hi Karee,

                      Yes, that's not a problem. You can do this using the import/export feature.

                      Here's what I recommend. Have your co-leader export all of her information
                      (by going to File and Export from the main menu) and give you the export
                      file(s). Import all of the data into your system. Make sure all of the
                      data appears in your copy.

                      Next, I recommend that you move all of the girls to the new troop number
                      (whether it be yours, your co-leader or a new #). You can do so using the
                      "Troop Change" global update.

                      Finally, you should backup your data (by going to File and Backup/Resotre
                      from the main menu) and give your co-leader the file.... which she'll use
                      to restore into her G-Scoutmate.

                      You'll then both be using the same set of data.

                      At 05:37 PM 6/10/2005, you wrote:
                      >This may have been asked before and I apologize if it has.
                      >
                      >We are joining two troops together next year and both me and the other
                      >leader uses GS mate. Is there a way to get her information on my computer
                      >and mine on hers with out either of us losing our information. We will both
                      >still the be the leaders and this way we will have the same info on both.
                      >
                      >Thank you
                      >karee
                    • Heather W.
                      Message 10 of 11 , Jun 13, 2005
                        On 6/7/05, poshtown <kevin@...> wrote:
                        > Thanks for your response.
                        >
                        > If anyone has a suggestion for a more automated way, then please
                        > respond and let me know, and I'll add it to the suggestion list.

                        (Another thank you from me, it seems we all do it about the same way,
                        with multiple reports, though the order we do them in may be a bit
                        different.)

                        I am no programmer, so I've no idea how feasible it is, but to make a
                        way to print a report based on the number of requirements completed
                        for a given award would be one way (it would be great to hand each
                        parent a list of the Try-Its that their daughter missed one activity
                        on, for example, to see if they could make it up before the awards are
                        handed out - so searching by 3 requirements done for Try-Its would do
                        that. Searching by 4 would show all completed Try-Its, 6 for
                        completed Badges, etc.).

                        Or, an option to sort by the number of requirements done (again, I'm
                        an idea person, not a programmer - that may be much easier said than
                        done, I realize!) would also help, at least it would be easy enough to
                        find the section you're searching for.

                        I'm okay with doing it the way I have been, I just thought maybe there
                        was a secret trick I'd yet to find (like using Control-E when you
                        forget to get into Modify mode before trying to update a girl's record
                        rather than going back a step).

                        Heather
                        Message 11 of 11 , Jun 13, 2005
                          Great - thanks Heather! I will see what I can do.

                          Kevin