Sharing Data SAFELY

  • Fort Knox Scouting Community
    Message 1 of 2 , Sep 2, 2004
      Hi, we work with the Fort Knox Service unit, and we were hoping that we could suggest that you add a feature to GScoutmate.

      This feature would allow us to maintain a centralized service unit database on our (website) FTP site. This would allow the maximum number of (licensed) Service Unit officers to access the SAME set of data files on the database, without the danger of person A adding records, and then person B uploads their changes and erases the changes made by person A.

      Only leaders with the Gscoutmate software would be able to access the database

      The main data file would be on the units FTP (Website) site, so no one would be able to access the site without having an FTP password, just like with the current ability to upload the backup file to the internet.

      When setting up, you can have the option to (after initial setup) set it up for internet data operations.
      The user would first connect to the internet,

      then when opening Gscoutmate, the user would log on, and the program would go out to the ftp site where the datafile is located

      If no one is already making updates, or using the data, then the file is downloaded to the users computer, and the database is "locked". The user could (if they wanted to) disconnect from the internet at that time.

      User makes the updates on the data they�ve just downloaded onto their computer.

      After the user is finished making updates, and wants to close out, the program makes a backup on their computer, and then loads the files back onto the web, and unlocks the database for the next user. (if they disconnected from the internet, they would have to re-connect before doing this step)

      If the database IS being used when they try to open up, it would pop up a little message saying: "Database files are currently in use by Charlotte Madden, (phone) 502-123-4567, knoxscouting@...", and it will not allow them to download the database files until the person using it had uploaded them again. The popup window would allow you to call them and find out when they�d be finished though.

      This would allow for easily maintaining the data, protecting from accidental data loss (by other unit members overwriting data I just updated), and if there is ever a problem with the web data file, the last good backup (from the hard drive of the last person to save out of the database with no problems) could be reloaded to replace it.

      So what do you guys think?

      The FKSC,
      P.O. Box 41
      Ft Knox KY 40121-0041
      BLD 4022, Vine Grove Street
      Visit us online at:
      http://www.knoxscouting.org/

      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 11, 2004
        Hi there,

        What you're suggesting is exactly where we are heading. We've been slowly
        adding the features to make this a possibility.

        As you mention, in 6.06a (an "unofficial" update), you have the ability to
        FTP files back and forth from your FTP site. Eventually, what you mention
        below will be a reality. While it may not make it into 6.1, it will make
        it into a future update. Soon, on the Boy Scout side (and, if approved by
        GSUSA, for G-Scoutmate), you will also be able to make many changes
        directly via the web. While we don't plan on adding sensitive data (i.e.,
        address, phone and other personal info), you will be able to make
        advancement changes as well as even attendance, finances, money earning
        activities, non-sensitve personal info and more.

        We'll definitely keep you updated as we progress towards these goals.

        Now... back to work!

        Kevin