G-Scoutmate: Money Earning Activity plans

    Message 1 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
      Hi All,

      We're thinking about putting the Money Earning Activity section into a
      separate (and free) program. This would be for people that don't use
      G-Scoutmate. They would be able to keep of their Cookie Sales (and other
      money earning activities) on computer. AND... if their SU uses
      G-Scoutmate, they can submit all of their cookie sale information to the SU
      in a file.

      So, my questions...

      to people on the SU team -- if people could submit cookie sale information
      to you in a file that you could bring into G-Scoutmate, would you accept
      it, or would you still require everything on paper? would you tell promote
      it to your SU membership?

      We're also planning on adding a "Request More Items" feature to the money
      earning activity module. This would allow people to request more items
      electronically, and you would have a record of every request. would you use it?

      to everyone -- do you think this is a good idea? do you think people would
      use it?

      Thanks so much! You can either reply to the list or directly to me at
      kevin@....

      Kevin

      PS: Of course, the Money Earning Activity section WILL remain part of the
      G-Scoutmate program.
    • Trish Finn
      Message 2 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
        Kevin,

        What cookie sales and money earning info are turned into the SU?
        I currently do cookies for the SU and collect the paperwork, but that info is then passed on to council. They already have software for that but it's only at SU level, so leaders still have to fill out paperwork, I enter it online then send in the paperwork to Council.

        I am also the treasurer for the SU and I collect the Annual Finance Report from each troop but that has more then just Money-Earning Activities on it. So I guess what I am saying is that for our SU that's not going to help, but hey it could be of great help to others. Or, I could just completely be missing the point here and be way off line.

        As for our Council, everything is still paperwork. I do believe that registration is going to be entered directely on line by each leader, and cookies is not far behind.

        I use GScoutmate for my troop, I haven't tried it for the SU level, not sure how it can help me there?

        Trish Finn
        GS IL Crossroads

        Kevin Coleman <kevin@...> wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT

      • Monica Cobine
        Message 3 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
          Hi Kevin,

          I think the separate part would be a good idea. In our council, most of our cookie paperwork is NOT submitted, only a summary sheet so they don't really care how we keep track of the info.

          I was not able to use the G-Scoutmate for cookies this year because the setup was confusing. Since every box of cookies is at a set price, it was too much work for me to input the price of cookies for each girl for every kind of box they picked up.

          With our council, we have the girls name, the 8 different kinds of cookies available and under each kind, we enter the number she picks up. We only put the money in for the total pickup. Also, when the girl turns in money, we only enter the total. We do not apply individual amounts to the kinds of cookies.

          Hope this makes sense.
          Monica

          Message 4 of 8 , Aug 3, 2004
            The breakdown for cookies for our council is similar to that described by
            "mscobine". However, our fall product (aka nut sale) has a different price for
            different items, so the additional information is needed for that sale.

          • Candice Stark
            Message 5 of 8 , Aug 4, 2004
              Kevin,

              Great idea. Could this MEA module allow for keeping track of separate girl
              earned funds? With the older girls when they are earning funds for a BIG
              trip, its usually earned on an individual basis at the different fund
              raisers and often over several years. I believe the BSA does the same
              thing for scout camp etc.

              Candice
            • Vip
              Message 6 of 8 , Aug 4, 2004
                Hi Kevin,

                As cookie manager for my neighborhood our cookie sales are done the same as Trish described, troops turn the paperwork into to me (a summary with a total of each type needed per troop not by each girl)not to our SU. Those get entered online into a program council supplies but hard copies of the paperwork also get turned into council.

                Vera Hamacher
                G.S. of Michigan Trails council

                Kevin Coleman <kevin@...> wrote:
[...]

              • Krishna Mayfield
                Message 7 of 8 , Aug 4, 2004
                  Hi Kevin -

                  Although I think it is a good idea, I think that the fact that each
                  Council selects 2 main fundraisers per year and those tend to vary
                  greatly from Council to Council may make this complicated.

                  Also, many Councils have already begun to use either online systems
                  or some form of a spreadsheet that can be sent in electronically. I
                  know my Council uses Excel spreadsheets for both of our Fundraisers
                  so there is no actual paperwork to turn in. The SU manager simply
                  copies the row with the final figures onto her master form and sends
                  it in.

                  This year our Council has also added the troop financial report to
                  the list of available forms so we don't have to do that anymore
                  either.

                  I am sure there are some Councils were this is still need but I
                  honestly can't say it would be used on a widespread basis.

                  Kris Mayfield
                  Pines of Carolina

                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 6, 2004
                    Hi Candice,

                    I suggest you use the Financial Section to do what you're describing below.

                    The financial section allows for an unlimited number of accounts, so you
                    can set one up for each of your girls and then make deposits and
                    withdrawals as necessary. I know that the financial section is heavily
                    used this way in Scoutmate.

                    Kevin