Re: About Chapter 5

  • jamiedobsondotcodotuk
    Message 1 of 4 , Aug 25, 2008
      I disagree with this.

      Make it real asap. We waste a lot of time reading/listen to people
      explain abstract concepts without showing examples. The code paints a
      thousand words.

      --- In growing-oo-software-guided-by-tests@yahoogroups.com, Thiago
      Delgado Pinto <thiago_dp@...> wrote:

      > Hi Nat and Steve,
      >
      > It would be better if you describe the structure of a *Unit and a
      *Mock BEFORE to start showing examples in JUnit or jMock.
      > For instance: Test Cases, Assertions, Test Fixtures and Test Runners
      could be explained in a language (and tool) independent manner, so
      that programmers that have never used these tools before or even those
      who are not so familiar to Java will get the picture easier. Then, you
      introduce JUnit and jMock showing their implementation details.

      > ..:: Thiago ::..
      >
      > Rio de Janeiro - Brazil
      >

      > Novos endere�os, o Yahoo! que voc� conhece. Crie um email novo
      com a sua cara @... ou @....
      > http://br.new.mail.yahoo.com/addresses

    • Thiago Delgado Pinto
      Message 2 of 4 , Aug 25, 2008
        The problem is that this presents a lot of implementation details that concerns to a specific tool, like jMock, instead being more generic (not Java only) but still low level. It doesn't need to be abstract.You don't need to show code to explain something in low level.
        After explaining that, you can see how it is implemented, in jMock or whatever the author wish to use.

        com a sua cara @... ou @rocketmail. com.
        > http://br.new. mail.yahoo. com/addresses

        Novos endereços, o Yahoo! que você conhece. Crie um email novo com a sua cara @... ou @....
      • Steve Freeman
        Message 3 of 4 , Aug 25, 2008
          We'll probably have to go around this a few more times. The only point
          I'd make at the moment, is that this is not intended as a beginner's
          text, the reader is supposed to have a little experience, so we were
          trying to focus on the details that were specific to the tools we work
          with, to help the reader adjust.

          S.

          On 25 Aug 2008, at 21:32, Thiago Delgado Pinto wrote:
          > The problem is that this presents a lot of implementation details
          > that concerns to a specific tool, like jMock, instead being more
          > generic (not Java only) but still low level. It doesn't need to be
          > abstract.You don't need to show code to explain something in low
          > level.
          > After explaining that, you can see how it is implemented, in jMock
          > or whatever the author wish to use.
          >
          > --- Em seg, 25/8/08, jamiedobsondotcodotuk <jimbobdobson@...>
          > escreveu:
          > De: jamiedobsondotcodotuk <jimbobdobson@...>
          > Assunto: [growing-oo-software-guided-by-tests] Re: About Chapter 5
          > Para: growing-oo-software-guided-by-tests@yahoogroups.com
          > Data: Segunda-feira, 25 de Agosto de 2008, 6:57
          >
          > I disagree with this.
          >

          > Make it real asap. We waste a lot of time reading/listen to people
          > explain abstract concepts without showing examples. The code paints a
          > thousand words.
          >
          > --- In growing-oo-software -guided-by- tests@yahoogroup s.com, Thiago
          > Delgado Pinto <thiago_dp@. ..> wrote:
          >>
          >> Hi Nat and Steve,
          >>
          >> It would be better if you describe the structure of a *Unit and a
          > *Mock BEFORE to start showing examples in JUnit or jMock.
          >> For instance: Test Cases, Assertions, Test Fixtures and Test Runners
          > could be explained in a language (and tool) independent manner, so
          > that programmers that have never used these tools before or even those
          > who are not so familiar to Java will get the picture easier. Then, you
          > introduce JUnit and jMock showing their implementation details.

          Steve Freeman

          http://www.m3p.co.uk

          M3P Limited.
          Registered office. 2 Church Street, Burnham, Bucks, SL1 7HZ.
          Company registered in England & Wales. Number 03689627