one last opinion.

  • Steve Freeman
    Message 1 of 9 , Aug 4, 2009
      Nat and I can't agree on some of the code highlighting, so we need
      some other opinions. The question is whether class/method highlighting
      (using bold) is useful or not.

      I've uploaded three versions of the same file:

      This emphasises both class and method names:
      http://www.mockobjects.com/with-all-highlighting.pdf

      This emphasises only class names:
      http://www.mockobjects.com/with-class-highlighting.pdf

      This emphasises neither:
      http://www.mockobjects.com/with-no-highlighting.pdf

      Some of the code is still bold, but that's plain old emphasis.

      Thoughts soonest, please

      S.
    • Thomas James Malone

        Message 3 of 9 , Aug 4, 2009
          --- In growing-oo-software-guided-by-tests@yahoogroups.com, Steve Freeman <steve@...> wrote:

          > Nat and I can't agree on some of the code highlighting, so we need
          > some other opinions. The question is whether class/method highlighting
          > (using bold) is useful or not.
          >
          > I've uploaded three versions of the same file:
          >
          > This emphasises both class and method names:
          > http://www.mockobjects.com/with-all-highlighting.pdf
          >
          > This emphasises only class names:
          > http://www.mockobjects.com/with-class-highlighting.pdf
          >
          > This emphasises neither:
          > http://www.mockobjects.com/with-no-highlighting.pdf
          >
          > Some of the code is still bold, but that's plain old emphasis.
          >
          > Thoughts soonest, please

          Given that bold text is the MO for emphasis, I find it easier to understand what is what with no additional syntax highlighting.

          HTH,
          David

          > S.

        • David Peterson

            Message 5 of 9 , Aug 4, 2009
              I think that only highlighting the pertinent portions is more useful and not just highlighting things like classnames and methods.

              -- ak

              > some other opinions. The question is whether class/method
              > highlighting
              > (using bold) is useful or not.
              >
              > I've uploaded three versions of the same file:
              >
              > This emphasises both class and method names:
              > http://www.mockobjects.com/with-all-highlighting.pdf
              >
              > This emphasises only class names:
              > http://www.mockobjects.com/with-class-highlighting.pdf
              >
              > This emphasises neither:
              > http://www.mockobjects.com/with-no-highlighting.pdf
              >
              > Some of the code is still bold, but that's plain old
              > emphasis.
              >
              > Thoughts soonest, please
              >
              > S.

              >     mailto:growing-oo-software-guided-by-tests-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

            • Llewellyn Falco
              Message 6 of 9 , Aug 4, 2009
              • 11 KB
              I prefer option D) other :-)

              We are all use to syntax highlighting. I can not think of an editor that does not offer it.
              The reason this exists across the board is because it makes code easier to read.

              but your examples don't do that. The highlighting you are using isn't what you would use for in an editor. granted you can't use color, but you still have font/bold/italics even grayscale. I don't have the perfect syntax highlighting in greyscale yet, but attached is  my current recommendation.

              also, I like line numbers. makes it easier to communicate. I find they are something I turn on early when pairing.

              reading code is one of the harder parts of code books. please make it as easy as possible.

              I would also suggest a light grey highlighter for selected lines instead of all bold.

              llewellyn falco

            • Steve Freeman
              Message 7 of 9 , Aug 4, 2009
                > Having class and method names in bold is actually the opposite of the
                > convention in Eclipse where keywords are in bold and method names
                > are in
                > normal text.

                That's why I set up my eclipse differently...

              • Russ Rufer
                Message 8 of 9 , Aug 4, 2009
                  Another vote for "emphasises neither". Slight preference.

                  My second choice would be "emphasises only class names." It looks nice, but I wonder how to highlight that a class name has changed? The class names are easy enough to find without highlighting.  But it wouldn't really detract from the experience if you choose this option.

                  I think using bold for all method names obscures the changes you're trying to call attention to.

                  - Russ

                  Message 9 of 9 , Aug 4, 2009
                    > That's why I set up my eclipse differently...

                    what looks good on the screen, does not necessarily look good on the page.

                    -- ak