Frost Damage? And the aftermath.....

  • siladar2000
    Message 1 of 8 , May 1, 2005
      Hello All. I need some advice on what comes next.

      Last night we dropped to the upper 30's and a fog bank moved in. Today
      I'm covered all over with frost damage. Leave curlked up, edges
      black. Etc. Etc.

      So. Have I lot my crop? Will it recover this year? What's going to
      happen?

      I had shoots up to 8" or so in length. Flower buds were visible.

      Thanks,
      WTB
    • John L. Eakins
      Message 2 of 8 , May 1, 2005
        I cannot imagine frost damage at upper 30s. Either your
        thermometer is wrong or something else is out of whack.

        John

        siladar2000 wrote:

        >Hello All. I need some advice on what comes next.
        >
        >Last night we dropped to the upper 30's and a fog bank moved in. Today
        >I'm covered all over with frost damage. Leave curlked up, edges
        >black. Etc. Etc.
        >
        >So. Have I lot my crop? Will it recover this year? What's going to
        >happen?
        >
        >I had shoots up to 8" or so in length. Flower buds were visible.
        >

        >Thanks,
        >WTB

        >Please help support us by purchasing your grape growing books thru http://www.grapeseek.com/books.html ... Thanks!
        >Yahoo! Groups Links

      • kklein
        Message 3 of 8 , May 1, 2005
          I got it too. My damage was confined to foliage close to the ground, the
          new vines. Higher up there was no damage. Even foliage in grow tubes
          was burned. I don't think thermometer readings dropped anywhere near
          freezing.
          kk

          John L. Eakins wrote:

          > I cannot imagine frost damage at upper 30s. Either your
          > thermometer is wrong or something else is out of whack.
          >
          > John
          >
          > siladar2000 wrote:
          >
          > >Hello All. I need some advice on what comes next.
          > >
          > >Last night we dropped to the upper 30's and a fog bank moved in. Today
          > >I'm covered all over with frost damage. Leave curlked up, edges
          > >black. Etc. Etc.
          > >
          > >So. Have I lot my crop? Will it recover this year? What's going to
          > >happen?
          > >
          > >I had shoots up to 8" or so in length. Flower buds were visible.
          > >

          > >Thanks,
          > >WTB
          > >

          > >Unsubscribe info is available at our homepage at
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/growgrapes
          > >Please help support us by purchasing your grape growing books thru
          > http://www.grapeseek.com/books.html ... Thanks!
          > >Yahoo! Groups Links

          > Unsubscribe info is available at our homepage at
          > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/growgrapes
          > Please help support us by purchasing your grape growing books thru
          > http://www.grapeseek.com/books.html ... Thanks!
          >

          > *Yahoo! Groups Links*

        • Don
          Message 4 of 8 , May 1, 2005
            Do you have a thermometer in your vineyard? I put a wireless one on an
            end post 5 feet above the ground a couple of years ago and the
            overnight lows I record are consistently 8-10 degrees colder than the
            'official' temps recorded at the MSP airport (we're just east of Saint
            Paul, MN). Amazing the impact of the urban heat island effect.

            Don
            Blue Door Vineyard
            http://www.bluedoorvineyard.com

            --- In growgrapes@yahoogroups.com, kklein <kklein@i...> wrote:
            > I got it too. My damage was confined to foliage close to the ground,
            the
            > new vines. Higher up there was no damage. Even foliage in grow tubes
            > was burned. I don't think thermometer readings dropped anywhere near
            > freezing.
            > kk
            >
            > John L. Eakins wrote:
            >
            > > I cannot imagine frost damage at upper 30s. Either your
            > > thermometer is wrong or something else is out of whack.
            > >
            > > John
            > >
            > > siladar2000 wrote:
            > >
            > > >Hello All. I need some advice on what comes next.
            > > >
            > > >Last night we dropped to the upper 30's and a fog bank moved in.
            Today
            > > >I'm covered all over with frost damage. Leave curlked up, edges
            > > >black. Etc. Etc.
            > > >
            > > >So. Have I lot my crop? Will it recover this year? What's going to
            > > >happen?
            > > >
            > > >I had shoots up to 8" or so in length. Flower buds were visible.
            > > >

            > > >Thanks,
            > > >WTB
            > > >

            > > >Unsubscribe info is available at our homepage at
            > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/growgrapes
            > > >Please help support us by purchasing your grape growing books thru
            > > http://www.grapeseek.com/books.html ... Thanks!
            > > >Yahoo! Groups Links

            > > Unsubscribe info is available at our homepage at
            > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/growgrapes
            > > Please help support us by purchasing your grape growing books thru
            > > http://www.grapeseek.com/books.html ... Thanks!
            > >

            > > *Yahoo! Groups Links*

          • Ralph Jenkins
            Message 5 of 8 , May 2, 2005
              Radiant cooling will cause plants to get colder than air temperature during clear nights. That's how frost can form in air warmer than 32 F.

              Don <bluedoorvineyard@...> wrote:Do you have a thermometer in your vineyard? I put a wireless one on an
              end post 5 feet above the ground a couple of years ago and the
              overnight lows I record are consistently 8-10 degrees colder than the
              'official' temps recorded at the MSP airport (we're just east of Saint
              Paul, MN). Amazing the impact of the urban heat island effect.

              Don
              Blue Door Vineyard
              http://www.bluedoorvineyard.com

              --- In growgrapes@yahoogroups.com, kklein <kklein@i...> wrote:
              > I got it too. My damage was confined to foliage close to the ground,
              the
              > new vines. Higher up there was no damage. Even foliage in grow tubes
              > was burned. I don't think thermometer readings dropped anywhere near
              > freezing.
              > kk
              >
              > John L. Eakins wrote:
              >
              > > I cannot imagine frost damage at upper 30s. Either your
              > > thermometer is wrong or something else is out of whack.
              > >
              > > John
              > >
              > > siladar2000 wrote:
              > >
              > > >Hello All. I need some advice on what comes next.
              > > >
              > > >Last night we dropped to the upper 30's and a fog bank moved in.
              Today
              > > >I'm covered all over with frost damage. Leave curlked up, edges
              > > >black. Etc. Etc.
              > > >
              > > >So. Have I lot my crop? Will it recover this year? What's going to
              > > >happen?
              > > >
              > > >I had shoots up to 8" or so in length. Flower buds were visible.
              > > >

              > > >Thanks,
              > > >WTB
              > > >

              > > >Unsubscribe info is available at our homepage at
              > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/growgrapes
              > > >Please help support us by purchasing your grape growing books thru
              > > http://www.grapeseek.com/books.html ... Thanks!
              > > >Yahoo! Groups Links

              > > Unsubscribe info is available at our homepage at
              > > http://groups.yahoo.com/group/growgrapes
              > > Please help support us by purchasing your grape growing books thru
              > > http://www.grapeseek.com/books.html ... Thanks!
              > >

              > > *Yahoo! Groups Links*

              Please help support us by purchasing your grape growing books thru http://www.grapeseek.com/books.html ... Thanks!

            • Larry Leap
              Message 6 of 8 , May 2, 2005
                Hello Growers:

                Radiant Frosts can be controllable in many cases
                particularly for small scale vineyards. A few
                suggestions. Overhead sprinklers turned on at a rate
                of 50 gallons per hour for the duration of the frost
                window, The use of fans to keep the air circulation
                moving in the rows works for small acreages.

                Another study has shown that keeping your cover
                crop between rows mowed to less than 5-6" in height
                during early season can help avoid frost. Studies done
                in Oregon have shown the difference of 2-3 degrees in
                those vineyards kept mowed versus ones that have higer
                cover crops. Apparently, it allows the cold air to
                move away faster particularly for vineyard sights that
                have some slope,hillside or ridge-top location. I have
                confirmed this study with one of my own here in N.
                Kentucky on my hillside vineyard comparing my apparent
                temps with other growers. Vineyards in those flat
                areas or river bottoms probably not a good sight
                selection to start with and not an effective method.
                Remember sight selection is the first key criteria for
                a successful vineyard. If you have a sight that gets
                frosted consistently. Perhaps you need to plant
                cultivars that shoot later in the season or move your
                vineyard eleswhere. Understanding that many folks
                just plant on what land is available to them.

                Best Regards
                Larry Leap
                NKY Vintners and Grape Growers Association

              • Gizmo0001
                Message 7 of 8 , May 2, 2005
                  --- In growgrapes@yahoogroups.com, "siladar2000" <siladar2000@y...>
                  wrote:
                  > Hello All. I need some advice on what comes next.

                  If you are as unfortunate as me, another frost comes one week later.
                  (*^%&*^) It was it momma nature said: you think you can recover?,
                  well take this.............
                • Thomas Giannou
                  Message 8 of 8 , May 2, 2005
                    Gizmo,

                    I too, used to be affected by frosts, but no longer. We have found that when our plants are sprayed once with our microbe tea mixed with Yucca Extract before bud break, that frosts had no effect upon our grape shoots or on our fruit tree blossoms. I was talking to a grower in the Yakima area last week who had 13 acres of Cherry trees that were in full bloom and were hit by frost. He will have no Cherries this year. He remembered what I told him about frost protection afforded by applying our microbe tea and then went into a discussion about all kinds of frosts. I told him, all I know is that when I spray my plants with my microbe tea + Yucca, the plants are not bothered by the frost. When I don't spray them, the frosts will get them and I remember that I should have sprayed them. I know that humates, nutrients, and soluble kelp can affect some frost protection, but I do not know precisely what is happening with our tea and frost protection. I just know my plants are protected when I spray them and are not protected when I don't.

                    I am bringing this up to let people know that protection from frost is possible.

                    Best Regards,
                    Thomas Giannou
                    http://www.tandjenterprises.com