RE: Fort worth TX

  • Khristian Smith
    Message 1 of 1 , Jan 5, 2004
      http://winegrapes.tamu.edu/

      Try this site, I am not sure they answer your question, but if not, possibly
      it will answer future questions.
      Anyway, here in N Dallas, I will be pruning in late Feb. As a general rule,
      wait until the worst of winter has passed, but winter has not ended.....this
      is what I was told by a winery owner near here.

      Khris

      PS....what type of grape are you growing? I have Merlot, and would like to
      trade cuttings thru UPS, for some Syrah or Zin.

      From: "WeBeCarving" <WeBeCarving@...>
      2. Re: Fort Worth Texas
      From: "jfrankln" <jfrankln@...>

      Message: 1
      Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 12:06:19 -0600
      From: "WeBeCarving" <WeBeCarving@...>

      I have just one question as this is my first year growing Grapes. I planted
      the first 12 of 53 plants last spring, and they all made it so far one or
      two are still under three feet tall but most are close to five to six feet
      tall. I started out training them up and then out like a "T" on top of a
      "T" as the books show but then stepped back and looked at them as other
      people driving by would see them. I live on a real busy street with lots of
      foot traffic. Cars are going 50 plus will not see much. I decided to let
      them go and enjoy the full natural beauty verses the vintage look. I don't
      want them to run wild just full. Now with all that explained the last of
      the leaves just fell off about two or three weeks ago. When would be the
      best time to prune back the first years growth the book said winter but here
      in Texas we don't have much of a winter. It was 80 two days ago, 70
      yesterday, and they say maybe 40 tomorrow.

      I'm asking if there is a website that I can go to and read about first
      winter in Texas grape growing and the right way to do winter ??

      Thanks in advance

      George Host

      Message: 2
      Date: Sun, 4 Jan 2004 11:15:30 -0700
      From: "jfrankln" <jfrankln@...>
      Subject: Re: Fort Worth Texas

      Try Ed Hellmann at: Ed Hellman
      E-mail Address:
      e-hellman@...

      Or Roy Renfro at: renfror@...
      Both are grape "experts". Roy is with Grayson county college and Ed is with
      Texas A&M at Lubbock
      Regards,
      Rex Franklin

      http://groups.yahoo.com/group/growgrapes