Re: [growgrapes] RE: New Member NW Arkansas Zone 6b

  • Thomas Giannou
    Message 1 of 5 , Jan 1, 2009
      Kelly,

      Welcome to Growgrapes! That was an interesting story about the people who found your wine brew some 21 years ago or so. lol. A camera would have been fun to have then I bet. What kind of grapes did you plan on growing? Have you researched what varieties will do best in your area yet? As you may know already, different varieties of grapes can be grown for different purposes... wine, jelly, or juice. Some varieties will support all three and others will support one or two of the purposes.

      There is a book I'd like to bring to your attention about growing grapes: "The Grape Grower" by Lon Rombough. He has a lot of very good information in his book pertaining to almost everything you can think of about growing grapes.

      Happy New Year!

      Thomas Giannou
      http://www.tandjenterprises.com

      Message 2 of 5 , Jan 2, 2009
        Thomas, Thanks for the nice reply. I want to grow 1 row of grapes
        such as concord to make jelly/jam out of. The other row, I hope I
        have the name right, but it is I believe called Reliance? I know it
        is the best tasting grape I have ever bought from a store. The
        grapes are smaller than any other I have purchased and they are a
        lightish purple color. Thanks and I plan to read some of the
        background notes in the files here and then ask a few more
        questions. Thanks, Kelly Polar Bear NW Arkansas Zone 6b

        --- In growgrapes@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Giannou" <thomas@...>
        wrote:

        > Kelly,
        >
        > Welcome to Growgrapes! That was an interesting story about the
        people who found your wine brew some 21 years ago or so. lol. A
        camera would have been fun to have then I bet. What kind of grapes
        did you plan on growing? Have you researched what varieties will do
        best in your area yet? As you may know already, different varieties
        of grapes can be grown for different purposes... wine, jelly, or
        juice. Some varieties will support all three and others will
        support one or two of the purposes.

        > There is a book I'd like to bring to your attention about growing
        grapes: "The Grape Grower" by Lon Rombough. He has a lot of very
        good information in his book pertaining to almost everything you can
        think of about growing grapes.

        > Happy New Year!
        >
        > Thomas Giannou
        > http://www.tandjenterprises.com

      • s_h_bailey
        Message 3 of 5 , Jan 2, 2009
          The University of Arkansas has several varieties (mostly seedless)
          that are adapted to your climate. Reliance is one. Check out
          http://www.aragriculture.org/horticulture/fruits_nuts/Grapes/default.htm

          Sunbelt is a better suited Concord type. Mars and Venus could be used
          in the same way, (with milder "foxiness") and are seedless. If you
          like Reliance, get a vine or two of Jupiter. The muscat flavor will
          blow you away if you've never had it.

          Stephen

          --- In growgrapes@yahoogroups.com, "kelly_moore_72761"
          <kelly_moore_72761@...> wrote:

          > Thomas, Thanks for the nice reply. I want to grow 1 row of grapes
          > such as concord to make jelly/jam out of. The other row, I hope I
          > have the name right, but it is I believe called Reliance? I know it
          > is the best tasting grape I have ever bought from a store. The
          > grapes are smaller than any other I have purchased and they are a
          > lightish purple color. Thanks and I plan to read some of the
          > background notes in the files here and then ask a few more
          > questions. Thanks, Kelly Polar Bear NW Arkansas Zone 6b
          >

          > --- In growgrapes@yahoogroups.com, "Thomas Giannou" <thomas@>
          > wrote:
          > >
          > > Kelly,
          > >
          > > Welcome to Growgrapes! That was an interesting story about the
          > people who found your wine brew some 21 years ago or so. lol. A
          > camera would have been fun to have then I bet. What kind of grapes
          > did you plan on growing? Have you researched what varieties will do
          > best in your area yet? As you may know already, different varieties
          > of grapes can be grown for different purposes... wine, jelly, or
          > juice. Some varieties will support all three and others will
          > support one or two of the purposes.
          > >
          > > There is a book I'd like to bring to your attention about growing
          > grapes: "The Grape Grower" by Lon Rombough. He has a lot of very
          > good information in his book pertaining to almost everything you can
          > think of about growing grapes.
          > >
          > > Happy New Year!
          > >
          > > Thomas Giannou
          > > http://www.tandjenterprises.com

        • Lon J. Rombough
          Message 4 of 5 , Jan 2, 2009
            The U. of Ark. varieties do require disease control in most Arkansas
            (and other eastern U.S.) locales. For something with really tough
            disease resistance you'd need to look at older varieties like America.
            -Lon Rombough
            NEW grape pruning video: http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html
            http://www.bunchgrapes.com Winner of the Garden Writers Association
            "Best Talent in Writing" award for 2003.
            For all other things grape, http://www.vitisearch.com
            A video about The Grape Grower :