Re: [growgrapes] Re: Storage tank and pressure for irrigation

  • Dan&jan
    Message 1 of 42 , Feb 3, 2007
      >>It says the soil is "very rocky loam", and I think the low CEC on
      the analysis means it's NOT clay, <<

      very rocky loam is right in the middle --not clay or not sand- it is the
      best soil type The very rocky is just an incontinence in a vineyard.

      Your soil analysis suggests a 3.5P to 1 K ratio. nitrogen around 1 but
      nitrogen is easy to add in the form of ammonium nitrate( 33% N )as it is
      water soluble and will incorporate easily with rainfall. It does not have to
      be added before planting as with new plants it can be added a couple
      tablespoons per plant after planting several times the first year==about 12
      inches away from the plant stem.
      Do not add any fertilizer in the planting hole. The incorporated fertilizer
      will suffice. Do not add any fertilizer after Aug 1 so the new vines will
      harden off before freeze up.

      Some may suggest adding compost at planting but I would not add it in the
      planting hole.

      You may not find a fertilizer at your farm supply in the actual ratio you
      want but they should carry super phosphate ~42% which you can add by itself
      to bring up the P to the desired level . Hopefully you and find a 1=4=1
      ratio

      You may notice that I seem to key on the phosphorus. Phorohorous does not
      move readily in the soil so I want to get it incorporated deep into the soil
      BEFORE planting, Nitrogen moves very readily and potassium is somewhat
      slower but it does move

      My suggestion is to incorporate the lime and P as deep as you can in the
      vine row and whatever K you can add also

      If you have a local farmer that can subsoil at least 12'deep or more in the
      vine row it will loosen the soil and incorporate the P and lime. You will
      only one chance to prepare the seed bed.
      DO NOT WAIT until spring to contact a farmer as they will be very busy.You
      can subsoil anytime he can get to it unless the ground is so frozen he
      can't get the implement in the ground > 3". Actual frozen ground allows more
      soil shattering which is what you want

      Dan Veilleux
      in the mountains of NC
      zone 6a
    • Dan&jan
      Message 42 of 42 , Feb 3, 2007
        Can't help you with the vinefera verities as it is too cold here for them.
        I grow Leon's and Baco noir. It will go to 0 tonight maybe lower.

        Dan Veilleux
        in the mountains of NC
        zone 6a