Menso Alting

  • Dr. Angela Knowles Griffiths
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 7, 2001
      Hello. My name is Angela Griffiths and I am researching my Dutch and German
      ancestors.

      I have just received a wonderful book about the history of Ostfriesland. In
      it, there is a discussion about a spiritual leader, Menso Alting, who was
      present in both Groningen and Emden.

      My question: How common was the name Alting? My earliest known ancestor is
      Jan Alting (abt 1635) from somewhere in Holland. Menso Alting was said to
      have lived 70 years and was a leader in the late 1500s, early 1600s. If
      Alting were a common name, I would think nothing of this.

      I am curious about the name similarity. Any information or thoughts about
      this are welcomed. I appreciate your insights.

      Angela
    • Pieke en Frouwkje
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 8, 2001
        "Dr. Angela Knowles Griffiths" schreef:

        > Hello. My name is Angela Griffiths and I am researching my Dutch and German
        > ancestors.
        >
        > I have just received a wonderful book about the history of Ostfriesland. In
        > it, there is a discussion about a spiritual leader, Menso Alting, who was
        > present in both Groningen and Emden.
        >
        > My question: How common was the name Alting? My earliest known ancestor is
        > Jan Alting (abt 1635) from somewhere in Holland. Menso Alting was said to
        > have lived 70 years and was a leader in the late 1500s, early 1600s. If
        > Alting were a common name, I would think nothing of this.
        >
        > I am curious about the name similarity. Any information or thoughts about
        > this are welcomed. I appreciate your insights.
        >
        > Angela

        Hello Angela,

        The name of "Alting" in the norden province Groningen was in early dais
        a normally name. I found in my papers de next items about the person
        "Menso Alting". I don't not chore of that the person is dat your
        locking.

        I found: 1] a Menso Alting, "Borgemester" (= mair) about 1711 in de city
        Groningen.
        I found: 2] a Menso Alting, a minister about 1650 to a small town
        Helpman in the province Groningen.
        I found: 3] a gravestone from Menso Alting. I give you the Tekst, it is
        in latin.

        "MENSONIS ALTING GRONING. THEOLOGI EXIMII DE RELIGOINE HIC EMENDATA 1566
        TANDEMQ. ASSERTA MDXCIV OPTIME IN PRIMUS MERITI NEPOTES PNN ABNEPOTUS
        IANUS - ALBERTHUS XIII K. SEXT MDCLXVII GERARDUS I F EID NOV. MDCXCIII
        FREDERICUS PR EID SEXT MDCXCV, DANIEK III NON IAN MDCCVII VIRI MEDIA
        AETATE EXTINCTI MUNIA VARIA P REP DOMI MILITIAE OBEUNTES IACOBUS ET
        IANUS - ALBERTHUS GER FF INNOCENTISSIMI PUERI XIV K. IUN 1694. H.S.S."

        I think that de date of daing is about 2 august 1712.

        That is all what i have for you, greetings Pieke van der Schaaf.
      • Jan Jaap & Odette
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 9, 2001
          Angela,

          Menso Alting is a rather notorious name in Groningen as well. In 1721,
          Rudolf de Mepsche, grietman (local ruler) of Oosterdeel-Langewold,
          residing in Faan (Oldekerk), had over 20 men falsely accused of sodomy,
          tortured and executed. He was helped by a number of judges of which Dr.
          Menso Alting (born 28 November 1688 in Groningen) was one. The book
          "Duizend jaar Oldekerk" (1000 years Oldekerk) by P. Luinstra, one of the
          many publications that pays attention to this "trial of Faan", says
          about him:
          The great-grandfather of his great-grandfather was Rev. Menso Alting
          (same name), born 9 November 1541 in Eelde. In 1566 he was a minister in
          Sleen and had to flee for Alva to Heidelberg and in 1575 he went to
          Emden. He is the church reformer of the city of Groningen and of
          Drenthe. The "Menso Alting Lyceum" in Hoogeveen was named after him.

          Best regards,
          Jan Jaap Hazenberg

          -------------

          Dr. Angela Knowles Griffiths wrote:

          Hello. My name is Angela Griffiths and I am researching my Dutch and
          German ancestors.

          I have just received a wonderful book about the history of
          Ostfriesland. In it, there is a discussion about a spiritual leader,
          Menso Alting, who was present in both Groningen and Emden.

          My question: How common was the name Alting? My earliest known
          ancestor is Jan Alting (abt 1635) from somewhere in Holland. Menso
          Alting was said to have lived 70 years and was a leader in the late
          1500s, early 1600s. If Alting were a common name, I would think nothing
          of this.

          I am curious about the name similarity. Any information or thoughts
          about this are welcomed. I appreciate your insights.

          Angela
        • Haga Broekema-Douma
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 9, 2001
            Also in the city of Groningen is a school named Menso Alting College. Its a
            Reformed School, a Community (?) College.

            Haga Broekema