Re: [groningen-genealogy] Naamsaanneming 1811 (was: Even voorstellen...)

  • JArmstr904@aol.com
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 4, 2003
      Thanks Nynke!! I'll be watching for it!!
      :)

      Jan Parsons Armstrong
      El Paso, Texas
      JArmstr904@...
      http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~janarmstrong

    • JArmstr904@aol.com
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 4, 2003
        Wow! That's great!!! Our newly discovered (2 yrs ago) cousins from Holten
        were here in April...and we are going there next May----I want all the Dutch
        lessons I can get between now & then!!!

        Jan Parsons Armstrong
        El Paso, Texas
        JArmstr904@...
        http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~janarmstrong

      • Frank van Thienen
        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 4, 2003

          Hello Jan,

          I'm a little slow on the draw here, but what the heck, you need some
          experience translating anyway, right? I translated this decree for
          myself some time ago. Here it is:

          Source : register of family names of the mairie Jorwerd, inv.nr. 83
          Decree of Family Names (1811)

          In the register of family-names in the mairie Jorwerd (Friesland), the
          following decree was found. This decree, issued by Napoleon, directs
          every Dutch citizen to adopt a family-name.

          "In the Palace of St. Cloud, the 18 August 1811.
          Napoleon, Emperor of the French, King of Italy, Protector of the Rhine
          Alliance, Mediator of the Swiss Confederacy.
          Following the report of our Chief Judge Minister of Justice, in view of
          our Decree of 20 July 1808; Heard by our State Council, We have decreed
          and decree as follows:
          Art 1. Those of our subjects in erstwhile Holland, at the Mouth of the
          Rhine, at the Mouth of the Schelde and in the District Breda, who thus
          far have not had a permanent family-name or first-name, are obliged to
          adopt the same, during the course of the year of this present decree,
          and to notify the clerk of the Civil Registry in the municipality where
          they live, of such adoption.
          Art 2 Names of cities shall not be allowed as family-names. For
          first-names, allowed are only those which are allowed under the Act of
          II germinal IIe
          Art 3. The mayors, when recording their residents, shall be compelled
          to research, and to notify the board, whether these persons have
          complied with the preceding articles. They shall also be compelled to
          report those residents of their municipality who have changed their
          name, without having lived up to the regulations of abovementioned Act
          of II germinal IIe year.
          Art 4. From the clauses of this present decree will be exempted those
          of the residents of the departments of erstwhile Holland, at the Mouth
          of the Rhine, at the Mouth of the Schelde and in the District Breda, who
          have well-known names and first names, and which names they have had for
          a long while, even though that these names were derived from cities.
          Art 5. Those of our subjects, mentioned in the previous article, who
          wish to keep their names and first names, shall nonetheless be required
          to report such, to wit: those, who reside in abovementioned departments,
          to the mairie of the municipality, where they reside, and the other in
          the location where they intend to establish their residence: all within
          the time period mentioned in art. 1.
          Art 6. The family name, that the father, or in his absence, the
          paternal grandfather, has declared to want to adopt, or which was
          assigned to him, shall be given to all children, who must use this name
          henceforth and in all acts; to this end the father, or in his absence,
          the grandfather, shall mention the children present in his registration,
          as well as their place of residence; and those of our subjects, whose
          father, or in his absence their grandfather is still alive, only need to
          declare that he is alive, as well as his place of residence.
          Art 7. They, who have not fulfilled the present regulations, and within
          the stated time, and they who, in any public act or trade contract,
          arbitrarily and without consideration for the law of the IInd germinal
          IInd year, have changed their name, shall be punished according to the
          laws.
          Art 8. Our grand judge minister of justice and our minister of internal
          affairs are charged, each insofar it applies, with the execution of said
          decree, which will be placed in the bulletin of the law.

          (witn.) NAPOLEON
          In the name of the Emperor, the Minister Secretary of State,

          (witn.) The Count DARU."

          In a letter to all local governments in his territory, the Under-Prefect
          of the District of Sneek notifies them of this decree and charges them
          with its implementation. He prescribes the use of a standard form for
          this process. In closing he adds:
          "Which formula, with the necessary modifications, must be identical for
          guardians of under-aged children, who have neither father nor
          grandfather, and for other cases which may occur in this process."

          Will that do the trick?

          Frank van Thienen
          Vernon, BC Canada