Meaning of Wettiging

  • radevries1
    Message 1 of 8 , Apr 4, 2003
      Dear Groningen user group members,

      I need some local genealogy expertise. I recently found a listing in
      Genlias that I don't completely understand. It had at the
      bottom "Wettiging 9 kinderen" which I understood to mean to
      legitimize. I've seen this for younger women that I assume may have
      had one (sometimes two children) without getting married, and maybe
      this then means the groom is legally acknowledging that these are his
      children. I have never seen 9 children listed and wondered if these
      could be from an earlier marriage I've missed and this means the
      groom is adopted them? She was born near Weener, Germany. I have not
      looked at the original marriage record, but assume it may typically
      have more explanation. I have a hard time reading and translating the
      extra handwritten comments.

      I am a descendant or her brother Lammert Jans de Vries who was born
      in Weener and lived and died in Nieuw Beerta (1795-1880). Her other
      sibblings were Habbe Jans de Vries and Albertje Janna de Vries. Her
      mothers name is also listed as Antje Habbes. Please reply in English
      if possible.

      GenLias details

      ----------
      Source: Burgerlijke stand - huwelijk (Moeder bruid)
      Algemeen
      Archieflocatie: Groningen
      Gemeente: Onstwedde
      Soort akte: Huwelijksakte
      Nummer: 30
      Datum: 27-10-1849
      Man Naam: Harm Fridrich Fridrichs
      Plaats: Nieuwe Pekela Vrouw
      Naam: Antje Jans de Vries
      Plaats: Tichelwarf (Dld)
      Vader man Naam: Wilhelm Fridrichs Vader vrouw
      Naam: Jan Lammerts de (Vries)
      Moeder man Naam: Grietje Harms de Jonge Moeder vrouw
      Naam: Antje Hubben
      Nadere informatie
      bruidegom 42 jaar; bruid 45 jaar; Wettiging 9 kinderen

      Robert de Vries
      Midland, Michigan
    • HINDRIK WOLDA
      Message 2 of 8 , Apr 5, 2003
        Hi Robert,
        Antje de Vries was first married to Harm Wilhelm Fridrichs, a brother of Harm Fridrich Fridrichs. However, of that first marriage I have only 3 children: Trientje, Tetje, and Lammert.
        Any descendants you might know of of either Harm, I would be most interested in, as they are part of my "Descendants of Derck de Ruiter" (see my website)
        Best wishes
        Henk

        Henk Wolda
        1626 106 Avenue SE
        Bellevue, WA 98004-7102, USA
        Tel.: 425-455-1443
        e-mail: h_wolda@...

        Datum: 27-10-1849
        Man Naam: Harm Fridrich Fridrichs
        Plaats: Nieuwe Pekela Vrouw
        Naam: Antje Jans de Vries
        Plaats: Tichelwarf (Dld)
        Vader man Naam: Wilhelm Fridrichs Vader vrouw
        Naam: Jan Lammerts de (Vries)
        Moeder man Naam: Grietje Harms de Jonge Moeder vrouw
        Naam: Antje Hubben
        Nadere informatie
        bruidegom 42 jaar; bruid 45 jaar; Wettiging 9 kinderen

        Robert de Vries
        Midland, Michigan

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • radevries1
        Message 3 of 8 , Apr 5, 2003
          Henk,
          I have two more children for her, Jan Fridrichs b abt 1830 married to
          Miena Blum Oct 22, 1870 in Vlagtwedde and HIndrik Fridrich born abt
          1833 in Onstwedde married to Wija Jans Goslar Feb 26, 1873 in Wedde.
          I thought Harm Wilhelm Fridrichs and Harm Fridrich Fridrich were the
          same person and maybe an error in the records - so I don't know which
          is which for fathers. This name is spelled many ways: Fridrichs,
          Friderichs, a k for the h, and e for either i. This gives eight
          variations to check in Genlias to find them. Still missing four
          children.

          I'll check your web site. Thank you for the information.

          Robert de Vries
          Midland, Michigan

          --- In groningen-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "HINDRIK WOLDA"

          Service.

        • Nynke van den Hooven
          Message 4 of 8 , Apr 5, 2003
            Robert,

            This is indeed an exception as far as the number of children is concerned, but I think that your assumption -the 9 children were legitimized through the marriage of their (biological) parents and therefore acknowledged by their (biological) father- is correct. Maybe the marriage certificate contains information as to why this couple didn't marry earlier. Although I don't think that the motives for marriages were recorded :-)
            And if you have troubles reading those handwritten comments, you can always ask for assistance.

            Regards,
            Nynke van den Hooven.

            Datum: 27-10-1849
            Man Naam: Harm Fridrich Fridrichs
            Plaats: Nieuwe Pekela Vrouw
            Naam: Antje Jans de Vries
            Plaats: Tichelwarf (Dld)
            Vader man Naam: Wilhelm Fridrichs Vader vrouw
            Naam: Jan Lammerts de (Vries)
            Moeder man Naam: Grietje Harms de Jonge Moeder vrouw
            Naam: Antje Hubben
            Nadere informatie
            bruidegom 42 jaar; bruid 45 jaar; Wettiging 9 kinderen

            Robert de Vries
            Midland, Michigan
            <snip>

          • a.a. van deelen
            Message 5 of 8 , Apr 6, 2003
              Hi Robert,
              In the family of my wife it happend with 5 childern. Afther searching I found that the man was Jewish and the woman Roman Catholic. To until nearly 30 years ago, when this law changed, the persons who wanted a marriage, needed to asked this to their parents when they where younger than 30 years of age. Without permission of the parents from both lovers the marriage was prohibit. In this case the parents didn't want this because the differences between the religions and cultures. Well they ware young and wanted each other and they lived in shame, after nearly 15 years when they became ages above the 30 years, in 1860 they had allready 5 living childern. He became Catholic and they swear fidelity before the church and registrars office in the townhall and get a wedding. The allready born childern are all legitimized and after that, they get 3 childern more. I read your message because I am also interested in the surname de Vries and because I have a very good friend the regional famous artist with the special name "Habbe" de Vries, I have drawings and paintings from him.
              Harry van Deelen
              Enkhuizen - Holland

              Message 6 of 8 , Apr 6, 2003
                I can imagine one case were two motives for (delayed) marriage are reflected may be traced.
                Firstly. One of the parents of the couple refuses consent. The couple does not wait for parental approval and starts already. When the parent concernded does not change his/her mind, consent is asked from the judge. Such an approval is mentioned in the marriage record.
                Secondly: One of the couple is still offcially married. Having a side affair is from a legal point a view something different than bigamy. The marriage can only come after the first husband/wife dies or accepts a divorce.

                In both cases it is possible that several children are born before marriage.
                In fact both situations occur in my ancestry.

                Kind regards,
                Jan van Bolhuis
                http://home.planet.nl/~van.bolhuis

                Message 7 of 8 , Apr 6, 2003
                  Hallo web eigenaar,
                  Wederom wordt hier mijn tekst geknipt????
                  Harry van Deelen
                  In the family of my wife it happend with 5 childern. Afther searching I found that the man was Jewish and the woman Roman Catholic. To until nearly 30 years ago, when this law changed, the persons who wanted a marriage, needed to asked this to their parents when they where younger than 30 years of age. Without permission of the parents from both lovers the marriage was prohibit. In this case the parents didn't want this because the differences between the religions and cultures. Well they ware young and wanted each other and they lived in shame, after nearly 15 years when they became ages above the 30 years, in 1860 they had allready 5 living childern. He became Catholic and they swear fidelity before the church and registrars office in the townhall and get a wedding. The allready born childern are all legitimized and after that, they get 3 childern more. I read your message because I am also interested in the surname de Vries and because I have a very good friend the regional Harry van Deelen
                  Enkhuizen - Holland

                  Message 8 of 8 , Apr 7, 2003
                    Robert,
                    I have one marriage in my records were 7 childeren were legitimized
                    at marriage. Due to family legends I know that the bride was not
                    accepted any longer at home when she came home pregnant. She lived as
                    of that day in the house of the parents of her friend, the father of
                    the children, who was fulfilling military duties at that moment. Her
                    parents ( and even grandparents) were not willing to give consent to
                    the wedding and while they could have followed a juridcal way they
                    waited until the consent of the elders where not longer needed. When
                    the the mother died,they married within a month after.

                    --- In groningen-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "Nynke van den Hooven"