Re: [groningen-genealogy] Slater

  • Harry Snijder
    Message 1 of 5 , Sep 30, 2006
      I think it's a man who puts slates (=tiles) on a roof
      Greetings,
      Harry
      Message 2 of 5 , Oct 1, 2006
        Marlene,

        No, as far as I know now , I am not part of the Klaas Sluiter line.
        I have- with the help of Jaap Bos- the parenteel of Klaas Eisses
        SLUITER Ulrum.

        Because part of my Sluiter family lived also in Ulrum, Houwerzijl and
        Vliedorp etc I supposed that we were from the same family line but up
        till now we could not find the same roots.

        As far I know only Jelderke Sluiter and
        Jacob Sluiter emigrated ro USA Grand Rapids.

        1.3 Jelderke Sluiter is geboren op 21-03-1873 in Oldehove, dochter van
        Jan Sluiter en Geeske Rosema. Jelderke trouwde, 19 jaar oud, op
        30-11-1892 in Oldehove met Jan van der Laan. Jan is geboren in Oldehove.

        1.4 Jacob Sluiter is geboren op 21-01-1876 in Niehove, zoon van Jan
        Sluiter en Geeske Rosema. Jacob trouwde, 24 jaar oud, op 24-05-1900 in
        Groningen met HarmINA GroenendaL, 22 jaar oud. HarmINA is geboren op
        02-10-1877 in Zuidwolde.

        Heritage Hall has and makes available for research the records of
        Calvin College, Calvin Seminary, and the Christian Reformed Church in
        North America. In addition the collection holds the personal papers of
        the college and seminary faculty and staff, ministers in the
        denomination, and letters detailing the Dutch migration and the impact
        of this migration on North America.

        Letters from or to these persons; (I donot know the content of the
        letters.)

        Sluiter, Andries. Letters, 1893-1897. 12 items, photocopies. Niehove,
        Groningen - Grand Rapids, Michigan; A. Sluiter to F. Kloostra.

        Sluiter, Jacob. Letter, 1893. 1 item, photocopy. Niehove, Groningen -
        Grand Rapids, Michigan; J. Sluiter to John van der Laan.

        Sluiter, Martje. Letters, 1893-1894. 3 items, photocopies. Zuidhorn,
        Groningen - Grand Rapids, Michigan; M. Sluiter to Jan van der Laan.

        Best regards

        Arnold Ruiter

        --- In groningen-genealogy@yahoogroups.com, "mar_post" <mar_post@...>
        wrote:

        > Slater can also be an Americanization of the name Slagter, which
        means butcher. My great great grandmother (Klaaska Slagter) immigratd
        on the Zaandam on May 18, 1888 with her two sons, Johannes and Siert.
        She went to Kalamazoo Michigan as did her son Johannes, who changed
        the family name to Slater. Siert Slagter went alone to Chicago,
        Illinois and kept the Slagter name.

        > To Arnold Ruiter:
        > Are you part of the Klaas Sluiter (born December 29, 1859 in
        Obergum, Winsum) and Klaaska Stoepker (born January 23, 1860 in
        Wehe/Leens)) line?. One of their sons. Pieter, born June 22, 1888 in
        Ulrum was married twice. Once to a Zwaantje Schaaf and then to a
        Grietje Jager. Both weddings were in Chicago Illinois. I am looking
        for information on this Pieter Sluiter and Grietje Jager family line,
        since I am a descendant of Jan Jager and Grietje Stoepker and that
        Grietje (Grace Sluiter) is a great aunt of mine.