Tumbleweeds and Akwesasne Notes

  • David Pinto
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 5:43 AM

      Tumbleweeds was, for many years, a staple of Akwesasne Notes, a publication for native people located on Cornwall Island, near Kingston, Ontario.

      These days, it is in a magazine format, but back in the day, forty years ago, it was a loose, large-page-size publication -- ran some fifty to sixty pages each issue -- with each page being absolutely crammed full of pasted-up clippings about natives -- the term First Nations did not exist at the time. Those clippings came from all over North America and, to some extent, from other countries. In fact, I myself contributed some of those clippings -- in the early 1970s, The (Montreal) Gazette, the newspaper where I worked in the newsroom as a clerk for thirty-nine years before taking early retirement at the end of 2007 -- contained in the newsroom a large wooden structure containing newspapers from across Canada. I was able to grab those papers before I threw them out -- needed more space all the time -- and rifle through them for clippings for the Notes.

      Here is a link to Facebook where I have posted a severely-shortened version of what
      I have written.

    • Cynthia Case
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1 11:38 AM
        Hi, thanks for this. Have you seen the documentary "My big Fat diet?" It was interesting, as it helped so many of the "first nation" who tried it. I saw this on tv myself some years ago. I went on a very low carb/high saturated fat/moderate protein diet myself. It sure made a difference in my life.

        http://www.mybigfatdiet.net/

        Cindy C,

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1 10:23 PM
          Thank you very much