Tumbleweeds and Akwesasne Notes

  • David Pinto
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1, 2012

      Tumbleweeds was, for many years, a staple of Akwesasne Notes, a publication for native people located on Cornwall Island, near Kingston, Ontario.

      These days, it is in a magazine format, but back in the day, forty years ago, it was a loose, large-page-size publication -- ran some fifty to sixty pages each issue -- with each page being absolutely crammed full of pasted-up clippings about natives -- the term First Nations did not exist at the time. Those clippings came from all over North America and, to some extent, from other countries. In fact, I myself contributed some of those clippings -- in the early 1970s, The (Montreal) Gazette, the newspaper where I worked in the newsroom as a clerk for thirty-nine years before taking early retirement at the end of 2007 -- contained in the newsroom a large wooden structure containing newspapers from across Canada. I was able to grab those papers before I threw them out -- needed more space all the time -- and rifle through them for clippings for the Notes.

      Here is a link to Facebook where I have posted a severely-shortened version of what
      I have written.

    • Cynthia Case
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 1, 2012
        Hi, thanks for this. Have you seen the documentary "My big Fat diet?" It was interesting, as it helped so many of the "first nation" who tried it. I saw this on tv myself some years ago. I went on a very low carb/high saturated fat/moderate protein diet myself. It sure made a difference in my life.

        http://www.mybigfatdiet.net/

        Cindy C,

        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 1, 2012
          Thank you very much