from the new member

  • arejay54
    Message 1 of 3 , Apr 1 12:54 PM
      Hi everybody,

      I joined a few days ago and thought I'd post my first message. This is
      the first group I've ever joined, so I guess I don't know what all
      happens, other than the obvious posting of messages.

      I've been a Tumbleweeds fan off and on since the late sixties. I used to
      cut the strips out of the Des Moines Register and paste them in
      scrapbooks starting in October of 1967. I think I have them pretty
      continuous until 1977 or 1978 with the occasional missed day (I'd always
      try to leave a space in case I would somehow come across it). Then the
      register quit running the strip. I'll check my collection sometime and
      let you know the exact dates I've got. Maybe eventually I'll learn how
      to scan them and post a few to share. If I get real ambitious, I'd like
      to copy and archive all of them on the computer before something happens
      to the brittle old paper and maybe sell them on CDs (I started reading
      the early messages posted at grimy gulch cafe and saw someone suggested
      this), depending on the legality.

      I also saved Sunday strips. I think I have the first several that TK
      did. It looks like he numbered the early ones; there's a small number in
      the corner of the first several that isn't part of the date.
      Unfortunately, in my youthful zeal to be creative (I was in middle
      school at the time, although for the benefit of you younger members, we
      used to call it "junior high"), I would cut out the individual panels
      and arrange them neatly and symmetrically on the large pages of my
      scrapbook.

      I also discovered that rubber cement would let the strips lie down a lot
      flatter and smoother, but would bleed through the paper after a few
      years. Fortunately, I switched back to Elmer's after a while.

      Of course I realize that a lot of the strips have been reproduced in the
      paperback books, but I don't think they ever do all of them.

      One of my favorite strips has the general (colonel?) and some lower
      ranking soldier looking out over the wall of the fort. The general sez
      something like, "gad, this incessant beating of the native drums is
      enough to drive one mad. How do you stand it, corporal?" The corporal
      replies, "Um, I don't hear anything, sir." The Colonel: "Run fetch my
      heart pills, won't you boy?"

      I'll sign off for now. As I said, this is my first message ever on an
      internet club, but you can see I tend to get a little wordy. Hope to
      hear from somebody soon.

      Bye. Nice to be here!

      Jim

    • John Wheeler
      Message 2 of 3 , Apr 4 4:32 AM
        Welcome! Come over to the fence and sit a spell!

        I've been collating the strips from online sources for a couple of
        years now, using Adobe Acrobat to create PDF "comic books" month by
        month. I have a few samples in our Files section; check them out! If
        you have the free Acrobat Reader (and computers typically do by
        default these days -- otherwise go to www.adobe.com), you can read
        them.

        Best wishes,
        Chief Sitting Duck @:-)
        (John Wheeler)
      • danmastous
        Message 3 of 3 , Apr 5 6:28 AM
          I have to put my 2 cents in on the PDF comic book....
          I must say I'm not a fan of the concept. To me it's a bit clunky. I
          prefer a the comic book reader (the program is called CDisplay
          Sequential Image Viewer available at
          http://www.geocities.com/davidayton/CDisplay). Here's what you do. You
          collect, say, a month's worth of strips. Then you zip them up in a zip
          file or rar file. Then you change the extention from zip to cpz or the
          rar to cpr. the comic book reader will scroll through the strips one
          by one forwards, backwards or whatever. You get to archive the strips
          in a non-lossy format. If you want to extract the pictures, you simply
          change the extention back to zip or rar and run the extraction routine
          and you have your original files intact. The reader program is a small
          download and simple install (as most programs are).
          I have the entire run of Peanuts in this format as well as numerous
          magazines I've wanted to save for posterity.
          The reason is I prefer to scan my strips or pictures in a larger (150
          or 300 dpi) format. I have been saving the Tumbleweeds strips from
          Dailyink and just wish I could make the pictures bigger.
          If you are interested in getting your strips scanned, I'd be happy to
          take on the project. I promise to take good care of the source
          material and send you the picture files on CD (as well as the original
          strips).

          Dan

          --- In grimygulchcafe@yahoogroups.com, "John Wheeler"