The Knotted Towels Gag!

  • johanan_rakkav
    Message 1 of 4 , Sep 6, 2004
      On September 2, T.K. Ryan published a strip about the Poohawks'
      weapons inventory...which included knotted towels, broken down by
      category into Hilton, Sheraton and Hyatt. That strip seemed oddly
      familiar to me. On checking my electronic archive of strips (which is
      admittedly incomplete), sure enough, a nearly identical gag had been
      used on September 21, but in a different year (apparently 2002).

      Proof of this lapse of memory (or whatever it is) will be uploaded
      post haste to our Files section (PDF).

      @:-) Chief Sitting Duck
    • Tim Collins
      Message 2 of 4 , Sep 6, 2004
        --- In grimygulchcafe@yahoogroups.com, johanan_rakkav <no_reply@y...>
        wrote:
        > On September 2, T.K. Ryan published a strip about the Poohawks'
        > weapons inventory...which included knotted towels, broken down by
        > category into Hilton, Sheraton and Hyatt. That strip seemed oddly
        > familiar to me. On checking my electronic archive of strips (which
        is
        > admittedly incomplete), sure enough, a nearly identical gag had
        been
        > used on September 21, but in a different year (apparently 2002).
        >
        > Proof of this lapse of memory (or whatever it is) will be uploaded
        > post haste to our Files section (PDF).
        >
        > @:-) Chief Sitting Duck

        Three explanations come to mind:

        1. Mr. Ryan took a much-deserved day off and hoped no one would
        notice... we won't tell anyone else will we group?

        3. By recycling a gag Mr. Ryan hopes to get the strip into more
        papers as the world's first environmentally correct comic.

        2. The Poohawks have the most awe-inspiring arsenal of knotted towels
        on the face of the Earth, taking two years to inventory it... be very
        afriad.

        Tim C
      • johanan_rakkav
        Message 3 of 4 , Sep 6, 2004
          Hi Tim,

          You wrote:

          > Three explanations come to mind:
          >
          > 1. Mr. Ryan took a much-deserved day off and hoped no one would
          > notice... we won't tell anyone else will we group?
          >
          > 3. By recycling a gag Mr. Ryan hopes to get the strip into more
          > papers as the world's first environmentally correct comic.
          >
          > 2. The Poohawks have the most awe-inspiring arsenal of knotted
          towels
          > on the face of the Earth, taking two years to inventory it... be
          very
          > afriad.
          >
          > Tim C

          We must rule out #1, because the two strips are not identical. In
          effect, he used the same gag drawn and captioned in two somewhat
          different ways. No day off for T.K. (And I do intend to tell T.K.
          privately that I spotted this, but not to spread the news publicly.)

          #3 is possible, though why you have it out of order in your list is
          beyond me.

          #2 (since these are, after all, the Poohawks) seems quite likely.
          Let's just hope there's a drought in their neck of the woods for the
          sake of the rest of us. If a dry knotted towel is bad, a wet one is
          far worse.

          Suitably terrified,
          @:-0 C.S.D. (John Wheeler)
        • Tim Collins
          Message 4 of 4 , Sep 7, 2004
            wrote:
            > Hi Tim,
            >
            > You wrote:
            >
            > > Three explanations come to mind:
            > >
            > > 1. Mr. Ryan took a much-deserved day off and hoped no one would
            > > notice... we won't tell anyone else will we group?
            > >
            > > 3. By recycling a gag Mr. Ryan hopes to get the strip into more
            > > papers as the world's first environmentally correct comic.
            > >
            > > 2. The Poohawks have the most awe-inspiring arsenal of knotted
            > towels
            > > on the face of the Earth, taking two years to inventory it... be
            > very
            > > afriad.
            > >
            > > Tim C
            >
            > We must rule out #1, because the two strips are not identical. In
            > effect, he used the same gag drawn and captioned in two somewhat
            > different ways. No day off for T.K. (And I do intend to tell T.K.
            > privately that I spotted this, but not to spread the news publicly.)

            Half a day off then?

            > #3 is possible, though why you have it out of order in your list is
            > beyond me.

            'Cause I messed up.

            > #2 (since these are, after all, the Poohawks) seems quite likely.
            > Let's just hope there's a drought in their neck of the woods for
            the
            > sake of the rest of us. If a dry knotted towel is bad, a wet one is
            > far worse.
            >
            > Suitably terrified,
            > @:-0 C.S.D. (John Wheeler)

            Tim C.