Howdy!

  • Calamity Jane
    Message 1 of 4 , Mar 10, 2004
      This place seems purdy quiet. Kind'a reminds me of Grimy Gultch
      itself.... :-)

      Got a question fer ya'll - what's the name of the fort? I oughtta know
      but fergot!

      Some 30-odd years ago, when I went off ta college, I usedta draw
      cartoons, mostly the Peanuts characters, 'n' I started drawin fer the
      college's student paper. The college student newspaper was distributed
      free on campus, to the hospitals, retirement homes, and various other
      locations around town. After a bit somebody raised the issue of
      "copyright". I wrote to Mr. Shultz 'n' got a letter back from his
      lawyers sayin if I didn't quit, they'd sue me! Nice guy.

      I looked 'round a bit 'n' found the Tumbleweeds characters werked with
      my style, so I fired off a letter to Mr. Ryan 'n' sent 'im a copy of
      my drawin. Ya know what? I got a personal letter back from Tom sayin I
      could use his characters in my strip (called "Warpath") as long as I
      sent him a copy of each issue of the paper, so I did.

      Ya know what? It didn't end there. I'd periodically get a letter from
      Tom with suggestions on how to improve me strip! He gave me lossa good
      pointer on how to keep the characters and backgrounds consistent 'n'
      lossa other stuff.

      "Warpath" continued fer three years,m 'til I finished college. I was
      real pleased that folks became so used to seeing the cast of
      Tumbleweeds that the local (commercial) newspaper picked up
      Tumbleweeds the following year!

      Unfortunately life got busy 'n' I haven't done much cartooning in 20
      plus years, but I've never forgotten Tom's kindness and help.

      Yup, one devoted Tumbleweeds fan here!
    • Larry Stanley
      Message 2 of 4 , Mar 10, 2004
        Wish you still had some of those strips. I would love to have seen them.

        LArry

        Calamity Jane <winnonad@...> wrote:
[...]

        Yahoo! Groups SponsorADVERTISEMENT
        Click Here

        LArry Stanley, Editor PCU
        Penguin Comics and Movies
        larrystanley@...
        http://www.penguincomics.net
        ultimate fanboy/PCU/Penguin Comics Unlimited TM 2003 by Larry Stanley

      • John Mahony
        Message 3 of 4 , Mar 10, 2004
          >From: "Calamity Jane" <winnonad@...>
          >
          >Got a question fer ya'll - what's the name of the fort? I oughtta know
          >but fergot!

          Ft. Ridiculous, I think

          >I looked 'round a bit 'n' found the Tumbleweeds characters werked with
          >my style, so I fired off a letter to Mr. Ryan 'n' sent 'im a copy of
          >my drawin. Ya know what? I got a personal letter back from Tom sayin I
          >could use his characters in my strip (called "Warpath") as long as I
          >sent him a copy of each issue of the paper, so I did.
          >
          >Ya know what? It didn't end there. I'd periodically get a letter from
          >Tom with suggestions on how to improve me strip! He gave me lossa good
          >pointer on how to keep the characters and backgrounds consistent 'n'
          >lossa other stuff.

          Great story.

          -Limpin' Lizard (no relation)

        • johanan_rakkav
          Message 4 of 4 , Mar 15, 2004
            Yes, that is correct: Ft. Ridiculous, home of the 6-7/8 Cavalry
            headed by Col. G. Armaggedon Fluster. My relative the Chief of the
            Poohawks is a relatively frequent visitor; in fact he and his braves
            just passed through the Ft. for their yearly scalp inventory.

            Chief Sitting Duck @:-)

            --- In grimygulchcafe@yahoogroups.com, "John Mahony" <jmmahony@h...>