Re: Question for the Group

  • Tim Collins
    Message 1 of 11 , Nov 2, 2003
      My original complaint wasn't against the cartoonist, but the editors
      on my local paper.

      That said, I do here by officaly apologize to all and sundry for
      being such a grouch, my coffee pot died and I'd been drinking instant
      for a week, yuck. Truce?

      Tim :)

      --- In grimygulchcafe@yahoogroups.com, "" <karleesm@i...> wrote:
      > Isn't it like a law or something that you HAVE to speak your mind
      when you don't agree with someone? It sure seems to be in my house.
      LOL--- On Sun 10/26, Tim Collins < sky_island_corair@p... >
      wrote:
      > "This is a democratic country, for crying out loud. Any body's
      supposed to be able to speak their minds here."Does that mean I can't
      speak my mind if I don't agree with them?

    • karleesm@iwon.com
      Message 2 of 11 , Nov 2, 2003
        Truce? I didn't realize we were fighting. A dead coffee pot? You poor dear! If you were nearby, I'd tell you to come over and I'd rectify that by serving you some real coffee here. I don't take the newspaper, so I guess that means I get 6 on-line choices, right? Garfield (my hero!)Rose Is RoseRaising DuncanGet FuzzyPC And PixelHagar The Horrible (not a good Viking image, but funny none-the-less)Strips like Doonesbury, Funky Winkerbean and Nonsequitar are like, well, of course. As well as Foxtrot, Cathy, For Better Or Worse .... oh heck. I'll admit it. My schedule includes 20 minutes a day devoted to just reading my comics online. I read Weeds last because of course, it's the best so it's like dessert. Karlee--- On Sun 11/02, Tim Collins < sky_island_corair@... > wrote:From: Tim Collins [mailto: sky_island_corair@...]To: grimygulchcafe@yahoogroups.comDate: Sun, 02 Nov 2003 20:24:23 -0000Subject: [grimygulchcafe] Re: Question for the GroupMy original complaint wasn't against the cartoonist, but the editors on my local paper.That said, I do here by officaly apologize to all and sundry for being such a grouch, my coffee pot died and I'd been drinking instant for a week, yuck. Truce?Tim :)> [Non-text portions of this message have been removed]

        Yahoo! Groups Sponsor

      • Tim Collins
        Message 3 of 11 , Nov 2, 2003
          --- In grimygulchcafe@yahoogroups.com, "" <karleesm@i...> wrote:
          > Truce? I didn't realize we were fighting.

          I didn't think so either, but better safe then sorry. (Or better Axis
          & Allies then Sorry... [Wargamer humor])

          >A dead coffee pot? You poor dear! If you were nearby, I'd tell you
          >to come over and I'd rectify that by serving you some real coffee
          >here.

          I got a new one yesterday and I'm feeling much better now.

          >I don't take the newspaper, so I guess that means I get 6 on-line
          >choices, right? Garfield (my hero!)Rose Is RoseRaising DuncanGet
          >FuzzyPC And PixelHagar The Horrible (not a good Viking image, but
          >funny none-the-less)Strips like Doonesbury, Funky Winkerbean and
          >Nonsequitar are like, well, of course. As well as Foxtrot, Cathy,
          >For Better Or Worse .... oh heck. I'll admit it. My schedule
          >includes 20 minutes a day devoted to just reading my comics online.
          >I read Weeds last because of course, it's the best so it's like
          >dessert. Karlee---
        • johanan_rakkav
          Message 4 of 11 , Nov 11, 2003
            Being able to speak one's mind is a basic human freedom, part of what
            Thomas Jefferson called "natural law". No relationship, personal or
            political, can work properly without that freedom being exercised. It
            has nothing to do with "democracy" as such. The =demos= (voting body
            of citizens) can suppress freedom of speech just as effectively as
            any other person or group holding power. If modern circumstances
            don't prove the point (and really, they do), look at the original
            pure "democracy", that of Athens. (We in the U.S. are under a
            republic, which is not really a "democracy"; but I quibble.)

            It's amazing how free editorial cartoonists in such places as Turkey,
            Iran and elsewhere are to speak their minds (see Cagle's Cartoons on
            MSN.com)...within certain limits, of course! What's interesting is
            that we Americans don't realize that we speak from behind our own set
            of philosophical bars.

            Enough...the 'Weeds would be too laconic to get involved in such
            matters. Which is just as well.

            Chief Sitting Duck @;-)
            (John Wheeler)