FW: [newham-cycling] FW: [lccrider] New Trains on Connex

  • Nick Williams(CEX)
    Message 1 of 2 , Aug 29, 2000
      -----Original Message-----
      From: Greg Smith [mailto:greg3@...]
      Sent: 28 August 2000 18:19
      To: Newham Cycling
      Subject: [newham-cycling] FW: [lccrider] New Trains on Connex

      Anyone want to take this on.

      from

      Greg Smith
      51 Claude Road
      London E13 0QQ

      tel 0208 470 4631

      Our new family website

      http://www.maister-smith.fsnet.co.uk/familyweb/home.htm

      -----Original Message-----
      From: rdavis4499@... [mailto:rdavis4499@...]
      Sent: 28 August 2000 13:22
      To: lccrider@egroups.com
      Subject: [lccrider] New Trains on Connex

      Dear Cyclist,

      Connex have the intention of allowing space for only 2 cycles on new trains
      currently being ordered for South central and South Eastern. The CTC
      Campaigns Dept. are asking people to write and complain. Further info. can
      be
      obtained from Sue Hall at the CTC, sue.hall@....

      I send an example of a letter with addresses.

      The Strategic Rail Authority
      55 Victoria Street
      LONDON
      SW1 0EU

      Dear Sir,

      Space for bicycles on new Connex Trains

      I write to voice my concern about the lack of space for bicycle users on
      proposed new rolling stock.

      I am a frequent user of Connex services, particularly at weekends when I and
      my friends use the train service to take our bicycles out of London for day
      trips. I should point out that I find the service to be, on the whole,
      extremely satisfactory.

      The only problem with any rail service is when there is limited space for
      bicycles. If this becomes a real possibility in the future for Connex trains
      I will have no alternative but to arrange car transport to take myself and
      my
      bicycle out to the countryside, thus increasing environmental disbenefits
      and
      inconveniencing myself. Alternatively I will have to restrict myself to
      those
      routes where bicycle carriage is still viable.

      I cannot see why tip up seats (allowing for seated passengers when there are
      no bicycles) cannot be used instead.

      I must emphasise that unless my bicycle can be carried, neither my friends
      nor I will use the train service involved.

      Yours sincerely,

      Other addresses:

      The Rail Passengers Committee for Southern England, 3rd Floor Centric House,
      390/391 Strand, LONDON WC2R 0LT.

      Mr. Harrison-Mee, managing director, Connex Rail, Friars Bridge Court, 41 -
      45 Blackfriars Road, LONDON SE1 8PG

      Bob Davis

      JOIN LONDON CYCLING CAMPAIGN

      http://www.lcc.org.uk/lcc/joinindx.htm

      ---
      Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

      ---

      Important:
      This e-mail is intended for the above named person only and should be
      treated as confidential. If this has come to you in error you should take
      no action based on it, nor should you copy or show it to anyone;
      please telephone us immediately.
    • Greg Englefield
      Message 2 of 2 , Sep 1, 2000
        Please can I encourage people to write to Connex and other addressees
        about this. Combined cycle and train travel should be an elegant
        combination giving people a real alternative to car travel not just for
        leisure but also for commuting. The huge number of people (several
        hundred) who keep bikes at Liverpool and King X stations who come into
        London by train and then cycle to work in central London is a testament
        to the potential. sadly Connex has been blind to this great potential
        market. In addition weekend leisure cycling in and around London would
        be made much more easy of trains had proper facilities for carrying
        several bikes.

        Also include a request that Connex improve cycle parking provision at
        their stations.

        regards
        Greg Englefield

        In message <F8C6A307D8FCD21191590090272D16500217E0D6@CEXEXC01>, Nick