Ride report: Crossness steaming day - Sunday 29th July

  • Trevor Hughes
    Message 1 of 1 , Jul 31, 2012
      Met John Wood and Steve from Blackheath, Brockley station at 1100, and off we
      set across the suburbs of south east London.At Blackheath we paused to view the
      missile battery in the middle of the heath... a nervous moment as it twisted
      around ready to take aim, but we survived..past blackheath viillage and towards
      Woolwich…suddenly, we were stopped at a junction to let through Princess Anne
      and her dad (been seeing Zara in the dressage..didn't even wave!!) then diverted
      around the Woolwich Arsenal and it's very odd cube-like shooting venue, then
      finally we reached the riverside… and we eventually reached Crossness through
      an almighty downpour, finding the gate after some confusion, but after a few
      suitable jokes, took a look.....and Crossness was worth the trip...it's a
      dramatic piece of engineering architecture which is so atmospheric, quite
      stunning ironwork, a victorian cathedral to, well, you know what!!. The
      dedication of the restoration team is pretty special too. Looked around, took
      photos and had a cup of tea in the pleasant cafe, then it was riverside all the
      way back – and another even more dramatic storm, thunder, lightning, hail,
      everything!!.......a great day out with the excellent help and company of John
      and Steve….I think I'll be back at Crossness sometime.
      Here are my photo's

      http://flic.kr/s/aHsjB3NqL3

      Trevor