Re: [greenwichcyclists] Cycling - Cutty Sark Gardens

  • rob.z.wood@uk.pwc.com
    Message 1 of 6 , Jun 7, 2012
      Well i did a quick headcount this morning (8:10am)  - 10 bikes in the lift, 3 walked, 3 scooted and 4 rode (including 1 that rode ride into the lift !!!).

      Francis Sedgemore <francis@...>
      Sent by: greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com

      01/06/2012 12:57

      Please respond to
      greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com

      Action (To)
      greenwichcyclists@yahoogroups.com
      Information (cc)
      Subject
      Re: [greenwichcyclists] Cycling - Cutty Sark Gardens

      A grumpy 47.9 year-old fixie rider writes...

      I don't use the tunnel on a daily basis, but in the past few weeks I have on numerous occasions negotiated the tunnel during the evening peak. My own rough figures are as follows: full-on riders ~10%; scooters ~15%; real fixies <2%.

      Cycling through the tunnel is a significant problem, but I challenge any assertion that a majority of cyclists are doing this. Again, the devil is in the detail. When it comes to dialogue with Greenwich Council, we must pay attention to that detail in our arguments. Let us not degenerate to the level of the Institute of Advanced Motorists, which recently claimed to great PR fanfare that more than half of cyclists jump red lights.

      Francis

      On 1 Jun 12, at 12:39,
      rob.z.wood@... wrote:

      > I'm working up to telling them off. Thick skin isn;t one of my strengths!
      >
      > When I say "increasing proportion" I am comparing it to
      >
      > a) The time there were lift attendants (and who would watch cameras
      and refuse entry to riders)
      > b) The time the lifts were out (presumably when these people were
      too lazy to use the tunnel

      > but it has gone from the odd rider "back in the day" to
      maybe 50% during the lift outage to more than half of the people coming out of my lift getting on and pedalling away. I'd venture to suggest that more are riding full on rather than scooting thorugh but then that may be a symptom of the increasing fashionability of fixies (though most of them seem to be going for the LOOK rather than the function of a fixed wheel). OK - I'm probably a grumpy old Hector....

      journalist and science writer
      www.sedgemore.com

      Audit today and tomorrow: The investment community shares its views on reporting
      Visit - http://www.pwc.co.uk/eng/publications/audit-today-tomorrow-investor-survey.html
      This email is confidential and is intended for the addressee only. If you are not the addressee, please delete the email and do not use it in any way. PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP does not accept or assume responsibility for any use of or reliance on this email by anyone, other than the intended addressee to the extent agreed in the relevant contract for the matter to which this email relates (if any). PricewaterhouseCoopers LLP is a limited liability partnership registered in England under registered number OC303525, with its registered address at 1 Embankment Place, London WC2N 6RH. It is authorised and regulated by the Financial Services Authority for designated investment business. PwC may monitor outgoing and incoming emails and other telecommunications on its email and telecommunications systems; by replying to this email you give your consent to such monitoring.
      Visit our website http://www.pwc.com/uk